HybridZ

Who holds the L6 record for 1/4mile time?

AZGhost623

Currently I found a youtube link that says 10.727 @ 198km/ph on an L6. All motor, no turbo, or nos from 2013. I was curious to know what the world record is for a 1/4 mile drag on a NA L6 with no spray if such something like that exists.

www.0-4factory.com

Drag slip in video:

R/T       1"776

60'        1"518

330'      4"353

660'      6"779    @161.65kmph

1000'    8"906

1/4        10"727  @198.40kmph

R/T+E/T  12"503

Edited by AZGhost623

Dave Rebellos Site has a lot of info on the Bonneville records they set, but nothing else. There are some independent places that manage to record valid times NHRA, Bonneville and some others, but of course nothing on there has a Datsun on it or specifics on the engine itself. Getting into the 10's on this engine is by far no easy thing to accomplish. I'm still curious if anyone knows a place that would have official world and/or national records. It seems that 10.72 is a pretty good start to aim for, but looking for what's officially recorded, something tangible that is recognized and respected as legit, not just a youtube video that could be open to criticism. There's more to all this questioning, but for now, just looking for the records if any exists....

Perhaps a call into Dave might shed a lot more light....

I seem to recall an l28 powered s13 running pretty deep in the 9's, back in the 1990's.  And I don't know much about this 0-4 factory (or any other Japanese tuner), but I did notice on their website when looking at the pics of the car that it looks to me like there is an awful lot left in it. Assuming the pictures I looked at where of the current stage of the car.. The fact that he is cutting that kind of 60' on that equipment is impressive.  And 123mph with what seems to be a very straight forward carb/manifold and a box stock header, wow.  Take a look at what some of the seriously high strung l28's are running, Bonneville, race boats, other Japanese drag cars and you know that this car, though impressive, is a long long way from "the fastest Lgata".  The "Japan Record" may be in its limited class,  and may be why they chose not to modify certain parts of the car.  Think NHRA's F.A.S.T. class, Factory Appearance Stock Tire... Here guys put crazy hours into cam profiles intake mani and head machine work that will make the most of their combination yet "Appear" very stock.  Everything that actually gets the car down the track such as chassis bracing, moving weight around, aero, and wheel/tire gets ignored because the point of the class is to look, sound, and feel very stock.

If the 1/4 mile E.T. is 10.7, then the car ran 10.7, there's no adding together of the reaction time and elapsed time. A car could sit on the starting line for a week after the tree went green, and it would still be the same E.T. as if it left with a 0.00 reaction time.

If I'm not mistaken there's some video around from a few decades past that show S30s in the 9's and 8's. What was powering them exactly, I don't know, but I do know that done of those crazy Japanese tuners like to push the L- series beyond reasonable limits. Lol

Car Boy L-Engine Shootout 1989 has a slew of times, I think they did it one more year before being overwhelmed with RB Fever as the first skyline GTR's were coming off the first three year inspections that next year...

Well some guys I have been talking to are very interested in making a 1/4 mile record. They are drag guys big V8's top fuel cars etc, so the L series is literally foreign to them. They are all about getting records, and they still have one that remains unbeaten today. So when they saw this, they were interested in doing something with me on it. Who am I to say no? :)

Just need to nail down whatever the official world record or even a national US record, is on an L6 so we have something to work towards. Doesnt seem to be anything from what they checked. All I could find is the youtube videos and some information on Rebellos site.  8 or 9 seconds on the L6 would be complete insane with no nos or turbo.

If the 1/4 mile E.T. is 10.7, then the car ran 10.7, there's no adding together of the reaction time and elapsed time. A car could sit on the starting line for a week after the tree went green, and it would still be the same E.T. as if it left with a 0.00 reaction time.

I just posted the tape info on their time from the video for those who didnt watch it.