HybridZ

240Z with a $55k BINon eBay

rturbo 930

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Z-Series-/301664854093?forcerrptr=true&hash=item463ca0604d&item=301664854093

I don't think I've seen one like this priced this high. What do you guys think? Wishful thinking, or will it actually go for that?

It does look like a nice car, but I'm not sure if collectors will be interested since the original motor is gone. If someone does buy it for that price, I'm guessing it'll be an overseas buyer.

Edited by rturbo 930

Plus or minus its about what it would cost to have all this fine work done if you bought a raw old chassis, so now just need to decide if this is the right market value for the car in your opinion, or you just want to buy a finished one and not put two years (and the $$) in to it.

I will be very interested to see if this car of this quality (given only info at face value) sells in that asking price range.

dont think it will sell for that price. you can go in the direction of a 911 that wont ever drop in any sort of value if you take care.

taking a look what has been acutually done i would take a very close look at every part of the car. this is top aksing dollar

for a car like this. bought mine in the middle of the 10k region and most of the work had been done already. with a lot of ACZ parts

brand new interior different new carbon parts wheels tires exhaust mod carb overhaul lets say another 10 went in so it would

be in the middle of the 20ies of course hours not counted in. in my opinion makes no sense buying cars in a1 condtion due once

on the road after some miles it is a2. my car had a so called "fresh paintjob" before i bought it and can say it like this the guy that painted

the car should have spent the 3 days in my garage getting rid of orange peel with wet sand paper.

Yup, no doubt it would cost $55k or more to buy a project car and have a shop restore it to this condition, but you won't get back what you spent more often than not. I think I could see it maybe going for something in the 30k range to the right buyer, but not $55k. As you said, that's Porsche territory (at the moment).

And I gotta say, given how nice the rest of the car looks, I'm surprised by how crappy the door panels look. Pretty much everything else looks immaculate.

Edited by rturbo 930

yes youre right. condition below the car also looks great. question for the buyer would be what to do with it ? either drive it or put it

in storage. when buying at this high price level value just can go down if you drive it. as for the fresh paint the first stone chips

hurt the most.

had been thinking at one point of buying a 964 and starting to convert it with bumbers and this and that to the oldschool

looks of the 911 that is going round right now but the manual cars arent quite cheap either those days plus strong dollar makes

imports more expensive. depends on the area you live but here nearby frankfurt i do see mainly old porsche mercedes maybe a little

bit of triumph or alfa romeos around. the chance you will see a datsun is almost zero and makes it quite exotic here.

The problem is that beside being beautifully done there is nothing about the car that adds to it's value.  It has a high VIN number and the ZX transmission and differential take it out of the "original" category but not far enough to actually add value.  The interior looks nice but appears to be vinyl rather than leather and the stereo system is not spectacular.  I'm sure it's VERY nice and fun to drive but I have less than that in my 280Z28 over the past 23 years, including all the repairs and maintenance I've done to it.  I agree with rturbo 930, it's at most a $30k car.

What I don't understand is it's not a stock car so why not replace the crappy AM radio. I know what I'm going to hear is "I listen to the engine" but come on. Does no one turn on the radio when they drive?

What I don't understand is it's not a stock car so why not replace the crappy AM radio. I know what I'm going to hear is "I listen to the engine" but come on. Does no one turn on the radio when they drive?

Now that my car actually has a working radio, I do use it. But this is a 1986 VW with a stock exhaust, so it's fairly quiet, and you need something to listen to while you wait for it to get to the speed limit, or it gets a bit boring. In a car with a louder exhaust (I don't know how loud that car is, but I doubt it's quiet - straight pipe with a single muffler) I really can't see the point of the radio. You won't be able to hear it unless you crank it up, and then it's just too loud. My BMW hasn't had a working radio as long as I've had it. Doesn't really bother me, but I do plan on fixing it. I don't plan on putting a radio in my Z at all. No point since I won't be able to hear it.

Edited by rturbo 930

Guess that depends how you build the car. My V8 runs dual exhausts straight thru to muffler in the rear which gives it a healthy growl. However, I installed dynomat and a heavy carpet in the car so it's plenty quiet enough for my sound system. But then, I like 60's & 70's rock music and that just plain needs to be played loudly. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

The problem is that beside being beautifully done there is nothing about the car that adds to it's value.  It has a high VIN number and the ZX transmission and differential take it out of the "original" category but not far enough to actually add value.  The interior looks nice but appears to be vinyl rather than leather and the stereo system is not spectacular.

Agree with this...I also agree that it's good for the rest of us if it did sell for that price.

But did it sell? It's no longer on the website, and doesn't appear in the "Recently Sold" link.

Ebay listing pics are no longer linked...perhaps new owner asked for all info to be removed?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Car values drive me nuts!

It's interesting to think about how you could easily spend 70k (1000 hours typically) on labor to repair and restore either a 240z or a 2000gt.  One of the cars goes for about 20k and the other goes for about 1M...it's just sheetmetal and parts with different sentiments attached to it. One quarter panel repair is not more difficult than the other. One paintjob is not harder to do than the other...

I think you guys are missing the obvious here:

wife: "You have to sell that car. It's me or the car"
husband: "OK, fine, I'll put it up for sale"

He posts the car for 55k on ebay, it doesn't sell. "Honey, I keep trying to sell it, but no one wants to buy it!"