HybridZ

I've had a few z's in the past and always fixed them up, made them run and look nice and had to eventually sell them due to random reasons. But now, I feel I've landed myself a keeper! Saw an add on Craigslist for a 71 shell and after a long wait period to hear from the seller we finally struck a deal and head out to pick it up in the middle of nowhere. To say the least, upon arrival the car had absolutely NOTHING in it. And by nothing I mean NOTHING. No mechanical, no brake or fuel lines, no interior no hatch, no windows ... heck, the owner had to Wire the suspension and instead of bolts ran steel wires in between holes (spindle, control arms, etc) just to get it in all fours, which made a huge of a difference when it came to load on to flat bed. While almost no bolts were even provided, To my surprise, the owner had a fair amount of the original parts in a small trailer ready to piece together and threw everything in for free!. The original hatch had miraculously somehow flown off when he previously transported the car home and thus far car's still hatch less. The following day while making a list of the missing parts and further inspection I came to realize the car is actually a 7/1970 car! ^O_O^

After settling down for a few days I found out the car was owned by a member here and got some cool pics and info about the cars history. Found that while the car was very rust free it's definitely had its fun and abuse at the track. Regardless, I got the empty shell for a good price and a positive open mind with hopes of giving this girl new life and a new future far far away from either junkyard and or smasher. I'll be posting some pics of my lady soon. For now, for sure I know I'll be running a 2JZ-GTE power plant & 6speed supra Trans with Z31 finned clsd/CV rear end. Pending the sale of my IS300 to fund the project. For now, let the parts search begin!

post-2009-0-00341000-1435735926_thumb.jpg

post-2009-0-19399900-1435735946_thumb.jpg

post-2009-0-47525000-1435735975_thumb.jpg

post-2009-0-25410400-1435736006_thumb.jpg

post-2009-0-39700500-1435736063_thumb.jpg

post-2009-0-22067800-1435736105_thumb.jpg

post-2009-0-45116800-1435736156_thumb.jpg

I was under the impression the shell was cut up years ago when it was parted out. Nice to see that it's still around, and that it found a good home.

Oh snap, if so, someone did one heck of a job welding her back together haha

So it's definitely been a mission landing parts locally for the car but finally managed to land me a 70 hatch and vented hood. Car looks like Frankenstein, but it's coming along. Just picked up stock suspension from the junkyard luckily and cleaning up the underbody and prepping from the end suspension for urethane bushings and paint. "Thank God for power tools eh?" next up will be filling up my oxygen and acetylene tank to hear up the floor pans and straighten them out, paint and dynamat them.

post-2009-0-42441700-1436294058_thumb.jpg

post-2009-0-70764900-1436294076_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck your'e off to a great start. that's a great engine choice. I should have mine back home soon to enjoy. here's an inspiration video of my first start :burnout:

That looks awesome man would love to end up with a set up like that bro. Simple, clean, reliable. Just got done prepping the roll bar for paint. Thank mankind for power tool eh? Haha interior is looking so much cleaner simply with a rust free roll bar haha. Definitely stoked to keep working on the rest of the interior. Surface rust everywhere! From sitting outside for good while haha. Loving the project though. Already imagining the end result.

post-2009-0-07453800-1437346015_thumb.jpg

post-2009-0-94273100-1437346035_thumb.jpg

Edited by superduner

Thanks man you have a better start than I did because you have your structure strengthened mine is still bone stock, engine went a couple months after I got it and I convinced my wife it was better to do a swap LOL it worked. I still have to iron out all my strucure supports 

Thanks man you have a better start than I did because you have your structure strengthened mine is still bone stock, engine went a couple months after I got it and I convinced my wife it was better to do a swap LOL it worked. I still have to iron out all my strucure supports

Hey, you got a car that runs brother, you definitely got the upper hand. In regards to my frame strengthening it definitely needs some work From what I've been told. Seems the rollbar was previously welded on without making bases/pillars or whatever on the floor so it seems IF I rolled, the tubing would penetrante out of the floor and the roof would come down on me. Granted I wouldn't be tracking the csrcar or racing it. But still, looking forward to having a functional safe cage.

How much was your swap, trans, electrical if you don't mind me asking?

yeah that roll bar definitely needs a base even if you sandwiched two pieces of plate steel to spread out the force. If mine was striped all the way I would replace my frame rails with 2x4 steel front to back. I may do something like that and cut some in half length wise to box in the frame. I had a shop do my swap for me so I had to pony up some dough. I'm in the swap for about 12k. if you can do all the work yourself you can do it for about 8-10k depending on how much you get your engine for, and your transmission choice, by the way the manual trans will be considerably more than the auto that will most likely come with the engine. I went with the auto because it's like a 3-6 k difference. but remember it's all the little unexpected stuff that add's up. so plan EVERYTHING before you start the better you plan and research beforehand the more $$$ you'll save in the end. My shop is really good and threw a lot of things in there on their dime I wasn't expecting it's taking for ever it'll be worth the wait                                                                                                

• 1 year later...