HybridZ

Places to stay on the west coast, Seattle to Sanfrancisco via Highway 101

Howdy,

A few friends and I are planning on road tripping down from Seattle to San Francisco via highway 101 in late August and were hoping to gain from other individuals experiences.

The main thing we don't really know is how frequent/available rooms are on the way down and places to stay in/near san francisco. 

We have a loose itinerary, but as we are all driving older/modified cars we are imagining some break downs/delays along the way and that is kind of pushing us away from pre-scheduling stay.

Anyone know or local to the coast that knows the sleeping situation? We have decided to take tents and sleeping bags in case we are between hotels/motels/inns etc. If possible we are trying to keep it under some ludicrous amount (some airbnb places were asking more then hotels!), the location would have to be able to accommodate 4 cars.

If anyone has a backyard or spare room we could also pay, assist with car stuff, buy dinner, etc if you were so inclined to offer 4 strangers shelter for the night.

If anyone has recommendations on places to stop that would be swell, currently we have picked out a couple coastal towns with nice roads, the redwood forest, and I believe thunder hill to visit. 

The Santa Rosa area is pretty cool, I used to live there.  If you are into beer Russian River is a regional legend.  Bodega bay isn't too far off of your route and its beautiful this time of year.  its the place where "The Birds" was filmed and you can find decent camping at the bodega sand dunes.  The whole area is loaded with wineries too, especially healdsburg.  Theres not much between Santa Rosa and the bay.  I cant say seen everything but i don't remember anything but a nice drive between the Santa Rosa area and Eureka which is a good chunk of your journey.  In northern California 101 forks with route 1, which is a legendary drive full of beaches and tiny ocean side villages.  If you do go route 1 Mendocino is a cool place to stop. Its basically a hippy commune but the (organic conflict free fair trade commune-owned) coffee is excellent and its a quiet place to have a relaxing vacation.