HybridZ

What would the interest be in a VVT&L system for an L series?

Mack

I know this has probably been covered a thousand times before,  but I have an idea that would be easily retrofittable and could even be made 100% mechanical with no need for electronics what so ever. This system will essentially work on ANY non shaft mounted rocker arms (yes, SBC, SBF and mopar) Cost shouldn't be too bad, as there isnt much complexity or need for a whole slew of new parts.  Some minor modification to the cylinder head and valve cover, but other than that it should be a bolt in affair.  

I have spoken to an engineering firm about this and they seem to think it is feasible enough to at least warrant building a prototype.  I am also waiting to speak with their in house patent attorney about filing a provisional patent, at which time full details will be released.  It would essentially do what the intake side of the vq37hr VVEL system does, except a lot less complicated, and easily made to work on the exhaust side as well.  

So, any interest?

I'm sure people would be interested, but I have seen a lot of good ideas where people are interested but they never get off the ground when it comes to people actually putting their money down on the table for it.

Definitely interested to see if this turns into something, though.

I'm sure people would be interested, but I have seen a lot of good ideas where people are interested but they never get off the ground when it comes to people actually putting their money down on the table for it.

As long as the product announcement goes something like this I'm in!

In theory I could be interested, but it will come down a few factors - what will it cost, how much complexity does it add, is it tune-able, will it be reliable, how much benefit...

the benefits of it would be that if you had fine enough electronic control out of it, theoretically you could throttle the engine with it and run a 300 + degree "full race" cam and have all the power in between that your little heart desires.  You could also set it up completely mechanically, but the control would not be optimal.   Complexity?  not much really.  it would add a few moving parts to a standard head.  nothing nearly as complex as the vq37hr system, or even a honda vtec for that matter as it uses a hydraulic lifter esque part.  I know all of you are thinking "oh great, now we won't be able to wick the RPMs up"  But there have been recent engines built with hydraulic lash adjusters that are very capable of 8500RPM in STOCK trim (check out the vw 07k!)  

The Jury is still out on cost.  I'll know more after I have a chance to speak with the patent attorney.  That will hopefully be soon, but as I understand it he is dealing with family issues in rexas right now.  

And TimZ, I am glad someone appreciates my avatar!

the benefits of it would be that if you had fine enough electronic control out of it, theoretically you could throttle the engine with it and run a 300 + degree "full race" cam and have all the power in between that your little heart desires.  You could also set it up completely mechanically, but the control would not be optimal.   Complexity?  not much really.  it would add a few moving parts to a standard head.  nothing nearly as complex as the vq37hr system, or even a honda vtec for that matter as it uses a hydraulic lifter esque part.  I know all of you are thinking "oh great, now we won't be able to wick the RPMs up"  But there have been recent engines built with hydraulic lash adjusters that are very capable of 8500RPM in STOCK trim (check out the vw 07k!)  

The Jury is still out on cost.  I'll know more after I have a chance to speak with the patent attorney.  That will hopefully be soon, but as I understand it he is dealing with family issues in rexas right now.  

And TimZ, I am glad someone appreciates my avatar!

Still sounds interesting - once you get your patent disclosures nailed down I'd like to hear more.

• 1 year later...

Well, there were oracles in the crowd...

• 3 weeks later...

If you ever do valve springs on any VVT/L engines, you will find that the springs are super light because the valvetrain is usually correspondingly light.

The L28 has a relatively heavy valvetrain which requires pretty intense spring pressure and this spring pressure might be tough on any mechanism used to achieve VVT/L