HybridZ

Can i remove this? False floor/ rear deck runners...

ferrariowner123

Hello guys, 

I had a quick question, i am currently working on my 280z, and i'm wanting to clean up the inside a little bit, i have an idea of how i want it to look, but that's for another time. My question is can i drill out the spot welds and remove these runners that would have helped support the false floor that my 1977 280z would have originally had? Or will there be some structural issues that would need addressing if i were to remove these? Pictures hopefully can better describe the pieces in question, the raised pieces with the black grommet at the rear of the runner.

19491249249_57312d5262_c.jpg

19491247809_73ae926eef_c.jpg

Thanks for the helps guys.

-Kyle

Whoa, awesome picture and info, sounds like I'm gonna put a piece in place of it then. Since 1/4 inch is as high as my Welder were go, I'm think that should work. Since it's spot welded it, I don't see any issues with plug welding the new bar in place, does that sound reasonable to everyone?

Thanks again for the awesome info.

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

Measure the thickness of whatever came out, and use that. 1/4" thick is waaay overkill.

BTW, in the pic that Dan posted, it's not easy to see, but it looks like the floor goes across the top, so if you take that piece out, there won't be an opening into the rest of the subframe. No need to add anything back in.

Edited by rturbo 930

Rturbo 930- Wouldn't the box shape provide additional stiffness or rigidity? So If I'm going to take that piece out and replace it with a flat piece of steel,(per the recommendation of those here) putting that thin 18 gauge (or whatever thickness it is) in place would make it less stiff than when it started. So to make up for the strength but using less space, it would have to be a thicker steel? Right?

While I will concede 1/4 might be a bit much, going to that thin OE thickness sheet metal seems like a waste of time. I'm thinking 3/8th's might be a winner here. Would everyone say that would be a safe choice?

Thanks again for the pictures Dan. Gotta ask, did you just have that cut away lying around or did you do that for little Ole me? Lol

Thanks again for all the input guys, really appreciated.

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

Rturbo 930- Wouldn't the box shape provide additional stiffness or rigidity? So If I'm going to take that piece out and replace it with a flat piece of steel,(per the recommendation of those here) putting that thin 18 gauge (or whatever thickness it is) in place would make it less stiff than when it started. So to make up for the strength but using less space, it would have to be a thicker steel? Right?

While I will concede 1/4 might be a bit much, going to that thin OE thickness sheet metal seems like a waste of time. I'm thinking 3/8th's might be a winner here. Would everyone say that would be a safe choice?

Thanks again for the pictures Dan. Gotta ask, did you just have that cut away lying around or did you do that for little Ole me? Lol

-Kyle

First, you have to keep in mind that for the first 6 years the Z was being made, not one of them had that piece you're taking out. It was added only for the 77-78 model years. So while it may not be a great idea to take it out, I really, really doubt it's going to have a big effect. If it were me, I'd just take it out and call it good.

Second, thicker does not necessarily mean better. For example, when installing a roll bar or roll cage, I believe the max thickness in the rulebooks for the plates is something like 1/8" - if not that, definitely under 1/4". And 3/8" is thicker than 1/4" lol. Did you mean 3/16"? But I can't think of a single place on the car (maybe the tie down hooks/plates in front?) where 1/4" steel is used.

I understand that, but I'm big believer in,"it's installed from the factory, so it must be installed for a reason". I also understand there are exceptions and limitations to that rule. Idk maybe your right. It makes sense. I'll sleep on this one.

And yeah, my bad, I'm terrible with fractions, not really a big fan of the Imperial system in the first place. Lol

And thank you Dan, once again, I take it you have some future plans with the spare well?

Thanks again for all the help. I truly appreciate it.

-Kyle

-Kyle

You could use 16ga steel if you formed it into a smaller hat channel like you have. Forming sheet adds a great deal of rigidity. Make it a 1/4" tall hat cahnnel.

Edited by str8pipez