HybridZ

Can you reuse origional evaporator with R134A system?

Hi all,

I'm my Z I discovered that the original evaporator was left in the system when the previous owner was stripping weight. Apparently it qas too hard to get at for him. I am working on getting my HVAC working and I was wondering if the old evaporator would be able to survive tge pressures of R134a of everythin else in the system was new. From what I understand I should need the following parts

Condenser

r134a expansion valve

r134a pressure switch

Dryer/Receiver

PAG oil

Compressor

Hoses/fittings.

How likely would I be to get a system that works a bit? It would be nive in the centeral Texas heat... I would go with the Vintage Air system, but I hate their controll panels..

I do have one more question. What sort of connectors would I need to connect to the evaporator and the expansion valve? Are they a standardized thread so that I could just go down to the auto parts site and pull one off of the shelf? Of course nothing is ever that simple, but I have to ask... :P

I do have one more question. What sort of connectors would I need to connect to the evaporator and the expansion valve? Are they a standardized thread so that I could just go down to the auto parts site and pull one off of the shelf? Of course nothing is ever that simple, but I have to ask... :P

I converted my stock system (78 280z) to r134 several years ago - I'm running the stock evaporator and expansion valve with no issues.  Not sure which year you had or if yours is the same, but in my 78 they used epoxy to seal the evaporator, which sometimes cracked and leaked.  I had this issue (long before the conversion) and remedied it by dremelling out the old epoxy as best I could and re-sealing with JB weld.  This has been working fine even with the higher pressures and smaller molecular size of r134 for years now.

When I did my conversion I did the following things:

• flushed the entire system with mineral spirits to clear out the old r12 compatible oil
  • used Ester oil, not PAG.  Ester is preferred for conversions due to better compatibility with any r12 remnants 
  • replaced the receiver/drier with a generic one from ebay
  • replaced the pressure switch.

Since you have done this, could you possibly point me in the direcrion I could find some fittings that would connect to the evaporator? All of my hoses and stuff are gone and thats my biggest trip up. I dont wanna order some stuff and not be able to connect it up to my old evaporator...

Sorry to bug you guys again, but if I were to buy one of those all in one AC kits on eBay would it have the fittings I would need to connect to the Z's evaporator? Specifically, I am looking at the kits which include a compressor, condensor, drier, under dash evaporator ect...

Since you have done this, could you possibly point me in the direcrion I could find some fittings that would connect to the evaporator? All of my hoses and stuff are gone and thats my biggest trip up. I dont wanna order some stuff and not be able to connect it up to my old evaporator...

Here's some hard lines from a 77...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-280Z-OEM-A-C-Air-Conditioning-Conditioner-EVAPORATOR-HARD-LINES-240Z-260Z-/261968935479?hash=item3cfe90ba37&vxp=mtr

and another more complete set...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/75-76-77-78-Datsun-280Z-original-AC-lines-AC-parts-/161712930452?hash=item25a6d77e94&vxp=mtr

Go to ebay and search on "datsun 280z ac", or whichever model you have, and you'll find lots of various bits.  

As far as custom lines go, I used stainless braided Teflon line - it will handle the pressures and isn't bothered by the freon.  Find a local place that supplies truckers (it's F.B. Wright here in Detroit) and you should be able to find Teflon hoses in the larger -6 and -8 sizes.

Also, don't try to re-use the receiver/drier, but you can re-use the stock bracket if you can find one - poke around on ebay until you find a suitably sized new drier with fittings that you like.

Edited by TimZ

After looking at it closer, I am thinking that I might not do it. The connectors for the evaporator core are way up in the dash that's hard to reach, and I really don't want to pull the dash Since the wiring is a mess...

Anyone have any idea where one of those under dash units would fit nicely?

So that project which just a fee moments ago seemed impossible to me nite had the possibility of success!

I pulled my blower housing to install my upgraded fan and I noticed the the spirit seemed like it would just slide right off to the side and was being held down by one screw! So I undid it and sure enough it came the evaporator core with its whole housing!

However I did accidentally break the cable that actuates the door to bring in fresh air. I think I can fab something up to make it work.

I'm going to take the core to an AC do and see if they can tell me if it's any good and make some hoses for me!

post-45110-0-51092500-1437094015_thumb.jpg