HybridZ

Hi guys, here's where I'm at-

I'm trying to get underway on a v8 swap into my '73 240z. Car will be for street use/getting into trouble- nothing serious like autoX/track/drag.

My plans are as follows:

Chevy 350 engine

650cfm vac secondary carb

MSD 6al ign

Camaro t5 trans

Custom driveshaft

JTR engine/trans mounting kit

JTR headers (maybe)

Custom exhaust

Upgraded fuel pump

OEM radiator from v8 car

I have been doing a ton of reading and already ordered the JTR manual but still have a few logistical questions.

I found a good candidate for a motor, BUT it is a truck vortec motor. I've read there are 2 main types of flywheels- 153 & 168 tooth. Don't know which one this engine has. Since I plan on using a camaro T5 (I know these get a bad rap, but I think for a mostly stock 350 I should be ok if I don't abuse it?) I'm not sure about fitment.

So, first question,

1) what kind of fitment issues should i be thinking about? As long as the flywheel is the right diameter it should just bolt up? 

My z is carb'd and this engine ill be too. So, second question,

2) Do you think my fuel system can flow enough for a 350? It has a return line so I'm assuming the pump isn't close to max capacity right now, which is why i wasn't sure if an upgrade would be necessary since i'm staying carb'd.

I have a couple more, but lets start with these and hopefully reading the manual should answer most of them. Mostly stumped on the t5 trans fitment to what other engines. I've been reading a lot on hot rod forums but haven't exactly found an answer.

Thanks,

Adrian

Hi guys, here's where I'm at-

I'm trying to get underway on a v8 swap into my '73 240z. Car will be for street use/getting into trouble- nothing serious like autoX/track/drag.

My plans are as follows:

Chevy 350 engine

650cfm vac secondary carb

MSD 6al ign

Camaro t5 trans

Custom driveshaft

JTR engine/trans mounting kit

JTR headers (maybe)

Custom exhaust

Upgraded fuel pump

OEM radiator from v8 car

I have been doing a ton of reading and already ordered the JTR manual but still have a few logistical questions.

I found a good candidate for a motor, BUT it is a truck vortec motor. I've read there are 2 main types of flywheels- 153 & 168 tooth. Don't know which one this engine has. Since I plan on using a camaro T5 (I know these get a bad rap, but I think for a mostly stock 350 I should be ok if I don't abuse it?) I'm not sure about fitment. The T5  is fine for your engine choice. I have used T5s in two 240Z builds. The first one has been on the road 13 years.

So, first question,

1) what kind of fitment issues should i be thinking about? As long as the flywheel is the right diameter it should just bolt up? Search Google.

My z is carb'd and this engine ill be too. So, second question,

2) Do you think my fuel system can flow enough for a 350? It has a return line so I'm assuming the pump isn't close to max capacity right now, which is why i wasn't sure if an upgrade would be necessary since i'm staying carb'd. You will need a higher capacity electric fuel pump and you are aware that the 240Z used a mechanical fuel pump. I have done two with Holley Street Avenger carbs and there is no problem with flow.  If you plan to keep it carbed then you don't need the return line. If you plan to go FI someday then keep the return line.  Speaking of fuel lines you are aware that there are a number of hoses attached to the fuel tank which will have to be dealt with depending on if the car is to be built per JTR and meet California smog rules or if you don't care then you can remove some of the hoses. Search.

I have a couple more, but lets start with these and hopefully reading the manual should answer most of them. Mostly stumped on the t5 trans fitment to what other engines. I've been reading a lot on hot rod forums but haven't exactly found an answer. Much of what you ask is covered in the JTR book. Keep searching the archives and Google concerning the T5. The T5 is angled 15 drgrees towards the dirver's side. Use the T5 bell housing (BH). If you use a chevy bell housing other than a T5 then the rear trans mount will be twisted15 deg. from level which means that you will have to make an angled trans mount. Using the T5 BH you will need to trim trans tunnel a bit to clear the shifter on top of the trans. No big deal. I have done two and once the center console and shifter boot is installed it looks normal. Also, you will need to shorten the shifter. I suggest you buy books for Chevy engine building/swaps and also the T5 transmission.

Suggestions:

• Read Jags that Run (JTR) bookat least 5 times.
  • Buy books/manuals for the engine and transmission you want to use.
  • Download a Factory Service Manual (FSM) and buy a Haynes repair manual for your specific car.
  • Download electrical schematics for your car.  PDFs are easier to read than those found in books. Some are in color.
  • Buy the book How to Restore Your Datsun Z Car by Wick Humble. It will save you hours of searching for "how to" info.
  • Focus on searching Hybridz as 99% of questions have already been addressed.
  • Make a detailed plan with parts list including cost before starting a project. Plan every system of the car.
  • Start bookmarking Z car parts suppliers - there are many!
  • Remember these are 40 year old cars and will need restoration to be safe and drivable.
  • Join ClassicZCars.com website and search there as well.
  • Become well informed about modifications before asking questions. People will be more inclined to answer informed questions.
  • Have some money. I stopped counting after $12k.
  • Read the new member FAQs.
  • The engine swap is the easy part. It is understanding the details like threads, brake fittings, adapters, drive shaft angles, brake system, automotive electronics, wheels, suspension and etc. that makes or breaks a build project.
  • Recommend that you buy a running Z car and drive it stock.  Do basic maintenance brakes, suspension, electrical etc. so you have a ready to drive platform when you finish the engine swap. You will learn a lot about auto mechanics and how the Z car functions as well.

Useful Links:

http://zhome.com/

http://www.atlanticz.../tech-tips.html

http://www.classiczcars.com/index

http://www.zcarparts.com/

http://www.blackdrag.../zZxCatalog.htm

http://www.arizonazcar.com/

post-178-0-11631000-1437100991_thumb.jpg

post-178-0-01913100-1437101003_thumb.jpg

post-178-0-60995100-1437101014_thumb.jpg

post-178-0-18996600-1437101023_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles

• 4 weeks later...

Note:  Richard Lopez, "the t5 guy" in Phoenix sells a shifter for camaro t5's that allows the transmission to be mounted at the camaro angle.  It works fine and only costs about $60.  

Search the phoenix craig's list auto parts ads and you'll find him.

One note on fuel system....not sure what year motor you're considering, but the stock Chevy mechanical fuel pump can suffice on its own for normal street use.  Anything beyond that will require an additional electric pump, as Miles indicated, nominally mounted back near the gas tank.

This is a good link I often use for Chevy V8 questions; has a lot of good SBC reference data:  http://nastyz28.com/