HybridZ

Reluctantly asking about my tach.

SHADY280

Hey everyone I'm looking for ideas of how to get my stock tach working. My car is a 79 zx with na motor. I'm running 1fastz's ford coil setup and using a turbo dizzy as my optical trigger with DIY's disc. Also I have no edis on board as I'm using ms2 v3.57 modified with bip373 units instead (ecu mods by fricfrac aka Mackay power) so what I've tried is using Fidle and iac1 to trigger my stock tach. I go in and select these in tacho settings and then I'm trying to hook it to the old coil negative (blue wire). Do I need an adapter or have I missed something. Thanks in advance.

You'll need to build a circuit to output the correct signal when using the tachoout and our old tachs. There's a few ways to do it, all listed on the MS Extra site. I'm using the coil method because I didn't want to rewire my coils. It's basically a transistor and a small relay with the switching part removed (so it doesn't click). Energizing the little coil in the relay outputs the same type of signal our tach are used to.

The other popular method is to use diodes on the coilpack grounds, but I haven't personally tried it.