HybridZ

Max tire size 280zx

pepitto

I was wondering what would be the biggest size for a set of wheel 17x7.5 and 17x8.5 on a stock 280zx. The rims have an offset of +04 and I don't want to flare the fenders. I'm looking at a set of rota rb. Any suggestion and photos would be appreciated. 

There was a guy that used the Rota RB's in the 17x9 wheel with 245 or 255's all the way around. I think he posted pictures in the Rota group buy way back in the day.  He had to roll the fender lips and stretch the fender a bit but they fit. 

Careful, those rota 17x9 with the typical -13 offset does not fit a 280zx with out coil overs, but the 9.5 -19 fits all around on a 280zx pretty well.  Now with the electromotive wide body and a quick change out back imagine the possibilities.  I think I've seen 18" BBS fins in ridiculous sizes on them before. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm running 17x9 -13 on the front and a 245 tyre (without using coilovers).  On the rear I've got 17x9.5 -19 and a 255 tyre.  That did require rolling the guard lip.  The rear had to be rolled pretty much flat to make sure it didn't rub.  Also if you have the 'bumper strips' that run along the side of the car, the rear tyre will chew off the bit that goes into the wheel arch...  

There are some good pics of how these wheel look/fit in the Rota RB group buy thread.

Here are a couple of pics of my car.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s861.photobucket.com/user/marc280/embed/slideshow/1UZ%20280zx/Rota%20Wheels"></iframe>

I'm running:

17x9 front +35 with 2" adapter on 215/40/17   I can barely stick a business card through the wheel and the front coilover.

17x10 rear +20 with 1.5" adapter on 245/40/17   I could add another inch or two inwards to the rear wheels without insane modifications.

For all you adapter haters. We have extended studs all the way around. Never had an issue. :)

post-1991-0-59857500-1449190526_thumb.jpg

post-1991-0-59007400-1449190729_thumb.jpg

Edited by bens1088

• 10 months later...

I just bought a set of 4  16x8.25 xxr 553 +2 offset. I mounted 245-50-16 rear and 225-50-16 front(falken ziex ze950) The rears are perfect without modification. The fronts will need about a 5-10mm spacer for clearance between rubber and strut. The rim fit ok with about 1mm clearance before mounting tires to rims. I mounted wheels to vehicle with about 1/8" washers behind the wheel and they fit nicely as well. Should not have any clearance issues. They also look perfect and i would recommend them to all 280zx owners trying to get away from the cookie cutters. Total price for rims and tires was under $800.

Edit-washers used as spacers were for test fit purposes only, do not use washers as spacers while driving.

Edited by 79280zx