HybridZ

General v8 swap questions

I'm sure you guys get questions like this a lot, so I appreciate you putting up with me

I am looking to buy a 280z sometime soon and I am intending to do some modifications to it. My intention is to do a little body work, swap in a v8 and a 5 speed, and obviously a little suspension work (in general)

So my questions are this.

One: I've seen some places like jagsthatrun etc that have swap kits, but I can't seem to find if the kit has everything you need. So is there a swap kit to swap a 5 speed (likely a t5) and a v8 (likely a 350) that contains everything you need?

Two: my power goals are somewhere around 350hp to the wheels (the 350 engine I already have puts out about 400 hp and ft/lbs at the crank). Now I already intended on getting wider tires, but how wide would I need to be able to grab pavement at least well enough to not have to buy new tires every few weeks? (Generally anyway)

Three: I am a machinist by trade so I have all the access to cnc machines I want. I also either own or have access to a cherry picker, welder (I can also weld), grinder, plenty of table space etc. you name it and I've likely got it somewhere. However I have next to no experience working on cars save for my 360 sprint. But it's a different beast. So how difficult is all this to do for someone who you could say has no experience?

Thank you guys again. I appreciate you putting up with me :)

Your questions are answered as follows: JTR, MSA and Johns Cars sell engine and  transmission mounts.  Only JTR provides a comprehensive "how to manual" that covers most  of the systems you have to change or modify in some way.  There are no 100% complete manuals or kits  for a 240Z engine swap. Use HybridZ as you would an encyclopedia.

Suggestions:

• If doing a V8 swap buy the Jags that Run (JTR) book and read it at least 5 times. Book is useful for any engine swap.
  • Buy books/manuals for the engine and transmission you want to use.
  • Download a Factory Service Manual (FSM) and buy a Haynes repair manual for your specific car.
  • Download electrical schematics for your car.  PDFs are easier to read than those found in books. Some are in color.
  • Buy the book How to Restore Your Datsun Z Car by Wick Humble. It will save you hours of searching for "how to" info.
  • Focus on searching Hybridz as 99% of questions have already been addressed.
  • Make a detailed plan with parts list including cost before starting a project. Plan every system of the car.
  • Start bookmarking Z car parts suppliers - there are many!
  • Remember these are 40 year old cars and will need restoration to be safe and drivable.
  • Join ClassicZCars.com website and search there as well.
  • Become well informed about modifications before asking questions. People will be more inclined to answer informed questions.
  • Have some money. I stopped counting after $12k.
  • Read the new member FAQs.
  • The engine swap is the easy part. It is understanding the details like threads, brake fittings, adapters, drive shaft angles, brake system, automotive electronics, wheels, suspension and etc. that makes or breaks a build project.
  • Recommend that you buy a running Z car and drive it stock.  Do basic maintenance brakes, suspension, electrical etc. so you have a ready to drive platform when you finish the engine swap. You will learn a lot about auto mechanics and how the Z car functions as well.

Useful Links:

http://zhome.com/

http://www.atlanticz.../tech-tips.html

http://www.classiczcars.com/index

http://www.zcarparts.com/

http://www.blackdrag.../zZxCatalog.htm

http://www.arizonazcar.com/

I'm sure you guys get questions like this a lot, so I appreciate you putting up with me

I am looking to buy a 280z sometime soon and I am intending to do some modifications to it. My intention is to do a little body work, swap in a v8 and a 5 speed, and obviously a little suspension work (in general)

So my questions are this.

One: I've seen some places like jagsthatrun etc that have swap kits, but I can't seem to find if the kit has everything you need. So is there a swap kit to swap a 5 speed (likely a t5) and a v8 (likely a 350) that contains everything you need? No, it is assumed that you have or will acquire that knowledge.  JTR will provide you with a manual and mounts, but it assumes that you know basic auto mechanics and that you can put together the bell housing, flywheel, clutch, hydraulics, drive shaft, differential, fuel system, electrical modifications etc.

Two: my power goals are somewhere around 350hp to the wheels (the 350 engine I already have puts out about 400 hp and ft/lbs at the crank). Now I already intended on getting wider tires, but how wide would I need to be able to grab pavement at least well enough to not have to buy new tires every few weeks? (Generally anyway) Tire fitment has been covered extensively.  Search the forums.

Three: I am a machinist by trade so I have all the access to cnc machines I want. I also either own or have access to a cherry picker, welder (I can also weld), grinder, plenty of table space etc. you name it and I've likely got it somewhere. However I have next to no experience working on cars save for my 360 sprint. But it's a different beast. So how difficult is all this to do for someone who you could say has no experience  It will be a challenge, but doable if you research and plan the build before starting. For you I would recommend buying a daily driver and rehab the suspension, brakes etc so you learn and also have a platform ready to drop in a SBC V8. Get an experienced helper lest you waste a lot of money or kill yourself.

Thank you guys again. I appreciate you putting up with me :)

Edited by Miles

• 3 weeks later...

What I've learned:

* Buy the engine/transmission as a unit--that will solve a lot of what goes with what problems.

* do the frame reinforcement before you do anything else.  don't scrimp on this part.

* I ripped out the entire wiring system (it had too many hacks that were iffy) and replaced it with an aftermarket set.

* DEFINITELY drive/repair the brakes, fuel system, suspension, etc.  before the transplant.

* READ THE BOOKS AND FORUMS!  Before you rip up anything.  I hate the "Oh, that's what I should have done" moments.

* And, remember, "Projects take twice as long and cost 3 times as much as you estimate."  Quote from a car mag.

Jim

Good thing you've got access to machining and welding equipment....you're gonna' need it!  :-)

Wheel choice:  as Miles said, there's a bunch of discussion already available on this topic, but you might want to start by looking at 15" or 16" diameter wheels.  Plenty of good selections on these sizes in 8" or 9" width.  16" will give better contact patch and bigger choice of rubber; 15" will be slightly cheaper.  You haven't mentioned your intended usage for the vehicle, so that's probably something you need to decide before you embark on major expenditures and vehicle modifications.  Too many people waste a bunch of money on the wrong stuff before REALLY thinking about how they want to use the car when it's finished.

Good luck with it and be sure to post your results as your work progresses.