HybridZ

Zedd findings engine bay frame rail questions

I have a question about installing Zedd Findings replacement frame rails into the engine bay of my Z. Looking at the rails it appears that there are a few discrepancies between the stock rails and the replacements. It appears that the rails are missing a taper from the originals

2015-07-27%2019.57.32.jpg

as well there seems to be some differences between the mounts for the tow hooks between OEM and replacement

2015-07-27%2019.59.24.jpg

2015-07-27%2019.57.44.jpg

Could anyone who has done this replacement before shed some light on how they got around this. The frame rails is in good shape near the front and could be butt welded, but I'd think that wouldn't be an optimal solution.

• 4 months later...

hi bud,

From my measurements from making some similar to these previously.

There are 2 versions of the stock rails, and some real early s30's and I dare say the early USA LHD HLS30's had a double thread tow hook on the LH (US Drivers) Side rail end/front only, where most of the later ie 71> had the single symmetrical tow-hook mounting holes with threaded or Weld-nuts in the reo plate at the front.

Yes it appears, (from the pics you have posted) that the rails you have, have omitted the slight taper on the in-board face and the top face of the rail so they dont have that "Stock-Look" to them.

for most people, this wouldnt matter, only the purist or those really trying to keep the original look to the engine bays of their cars.

I can understand why too, as it makes or cast doubt over the car sometimes when you look at it and it looks like its been tampered with, albeit even if done correctly with good workmanship and sound practices etc.

there are some rail replacements around which do have the taper you speak of.

As for your above mention of a butt-welded rail, yea, no stay away from this unless you are looking at adding a joggled/stepped lap join, to maintain integrity,

I never recommend doing this, but like you I had 1 car which needed a front section only (not the rear/main structural section where X-member and TC rod support is), so a carefully manufactured and grafted section with the correct amount of 'taper' (for a later 260z rail, which this particular 240z hs30 had a 260 front clip completely grafted on previously in its life) so the taper is twice the amount of the 240z/hs30, but with a joggled/stepped flange on all 3 sides of the rail section, with 2 plug welds each face, as-well as the 'bevel-butt-weld' naturally left by this joint configuration, is preferred for the structural integ.Required of the rail itself.

As the forward section is still responsible for opposing the load of the sway/anti-roll bar and the other forces transferred from the strut towers to the front rad support/tie bars, so it needs to be done quite well.

I do have pics of such a joint and fitment of the complete front section only, but in your case this would not be recommended.

I hope this doesn't scare you off, but I think the Zedd findings rails are suitable replacements none the less of your ok with the different look. Otherwise you can look for the other styles around and im sure you will have no trouble off-loading your current items.

hope this helps

Nat0