HybridZ

SR20DET in a 240Z, problems????

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

about the weight thing. That is what i got from sport compact cars article about the swap into a 240sx. I just said it wasn't that heavy because compared to what i have right now, which is a 240sx, the motor in that weighs about the same. this weight includes all the manifolds and tranny and all other stuff on the engine, not just the block and head. just didn't know if you guys were considering that too.

tim

• 4 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I can't remember the exact numbers, but they go something like this.

sr20det

s13: 202hp-203lb/ft torque

s14: 22#something hp-202lb/ft torque

s15: 247hp-203lb/ft torque

I got the stats from a 'Sport Compact Car' magazine, but I can't find that issue.

On a side note, however, I've read that a ca18det is a better canidate for a high power build. It's an iron block and was the predecesor to the sr20 det, used in the '89/'90 Silvias.

I'm all about 4 banger swaps--better weight distribution...

I say go for it!

Guest Anonymous

I've read in quite a few threads that the total weight of the sr20det complete with tranny, and basicly everything that's bolted on to it in it's "turn the key and fire her up" form, is about 450lbs... Give or take an ounce or two.

I can only assume that the reason that number gets kicked around so much is because it's correct... Though I've never weighed one myself, so this is sort of second hand/common knowledge, if you take my meaning.

Guest Damn Cracker

It seems like whenever someones asks about an Sr20 swap, everyone says to go for an rb26det. But here's the problem with that: at http://www.nippon-motors.com, a s-13 sr20 w/ tranny is about $1000. the cheapest I've seen an rb26 is about $5000. If you ask me, thats too friggin expensive for a stock motor.

the cheapest I've seen an rb26 is about $5000. If you ask me, thats too friggin expensive for a stock motor.

an rb26 with upgraded injectors and a booste controller set to 15psi will pump out 400hp to the wheels no problem. how much to build a 400 RWhp V-8? an rb20 sr20, and rb25 will generate that kind of power but with lots more money invested probably around 5000 too.

Well I read through this thread, and figure I've got a couple of points to add that I've said more than once.

VG30ET and VG30ETT's are not a very easy swap. Clearance issues around the frame and steering are no small feat to overcome. I know this for a FACT as I have done the VG30ET swap. As far as hp potential goes..well money talks, bullshit walks. 8)

I can also comment on the handling because of the engine weight is set back much further on the car... My front pully is behind the front crossmember. Can I say "no understeer"?.. Yes I can...

Last one.. Weight of engines.

The VG30ET completely dressed was listed at 394lbs. I got that info from Nissan... take it or leave it.

My L28 which included the full block/head, cam etc /flywheel, front pully, oil pump, distributor, nismo header, NO intake NO clutch, no oil, and enough port/polish work on the entire engine that it could be considered a weight savings bonus!!! Sitting on a 44x44 inch softwood skid, and wrapped with 1/2 plywood weighed in just a hair under 600 lbs!! Weighed at a shipping company who was shipping my motor to CA. I know the weight of the empty skid, and figure the skid and plywood covering weighed in close to 60lbs.

Just sticking this out there for you guys to consider as well.

:cheers:

We swapped a bonestock longblock into a 3rd gen RX7 and fabbed our own intake and exhaust manifold. Haltech computer, 100lb injectors, Spearco, 62-1 turbo. The whole swap cost us about $3500 and we did all the fab work. The weight is slightly over 450lbs complete engine/tranny. The car went 11.7@118 on 1st pass breaking up on the top-end because of bad ignition. The car went 7.6@98mph in the 1/8th with a 1.9 60ft on that same pass. The car has made 400hp@wheels on pump gas with a 50shot of nitrous. We run 21-22 psi on pump gas and beat this motor to hell. This is HYBRIDZ.com.....give the guy some slack.....it is an excellent swap idea. So much room for some fancy header and custom intake.

shaun3.JPG

Guest JAMIE T

I agree with the guys that say DO IT! The SR20DET is a small, light combo. What the hell are the guys thinking who say the SR20 is better for a light car? Damn, my '71 240Z weighs 2253 lb's with the L6 in it. What the hell do you want?!!! That IS A LIGHT CAR!!! All of the SR20's I've dealt with have been in Sentra SE-R's. They weigh about 300Lbs more than my 240Z does. One of them makes over 300whp, and is an absalute riot to drive.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

DID YOU KNOW the ca18 bell housing bolts up to the L6 tranny? Or so I've heard, at least.

I've been looking into the ca as an alternative to the sr, and I've read a couple of interesting things.

If what I've read is true, though, I would imagine the whole swap process would be much simpler. All you would have to do, really, is test fit the motor with the cars stock drive train, then figure out where the motor mounts would go.

This would be much simpler than an sr20det or even an rb series...

I'm wondering, though, since I'm here, talking about the ca18det, if anyone knows if the block and bottom end of the American ca18et is the same as the JDM ca18det. I know the ca18et can be had for cheap if you can find one.

I'm wondering if a JDM conversion is as simple as bolting on a twin cam head and the nessesary valve train components...

Guest Dan0myte
there's no such thing as a USDM ca18[d']et -nissan didn't produce a 1.8 liter turbo for any US bound vehicles.

You're close. Nissan never sent the CA18DET to the US, but they DID send the CA18ET here. 1984 - 1986 200SX Turbo. It's not nearly as strong as the CA18DET, but it's still a decent little engine.

Guest Dan0myte

Close. I think the block casting is the same, but all the internals are different. The DET had better pistons, rods, crank, bearings, oil squirters, etc.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, everything's forged on the JDM motor... Does the U.S. versoin not have oil squirters, though? It almost sounds not worth it to covert to a twin cam setup on the 'et... I haven't been able to find anyone that imports parts for the 'det--I did find someone who sells HKS products, but their prices were nuts!

I did, however, find a store in So-Cal that sells the complete motor (ECU, uncut harness, and pretty much everything needed) for like $1,100. Does anyone know of any parts distributers/retailers who can nurture my needs?

I've been looking into alternative swaps for my Datsun for awhile now--I almost bought an rb20det on E-bay--but I like what I've been reading about the 'ca... Plus it's very unique; nobody's done this swap, that I know of, that is.

Any help would be greatly apriciated... Thanks!

Guest Dan0myte

Nissan uses all standard Garret turbo parts, so turbo swaps are very cheap and easy. The rest you can get from any performance shop in Australia, they're nuts about the CA18DET.

Guest Anonymous

Could you list some links/sites I could check out for the ca? the sr is all the rave here in the States; mention the ca, and people get confused...

A ca swap would be much easier if I could source some parts. Thanks.