HybridZ

small displacement V8

Guest Anonymous

Guest shortyz

Rick Bowers, i got a 302 in my Z right now smile.gif fun stuff.

thanks tomahawk.

i really havent pushed it much. only brought it to 5 grand and around there it really started to kick my ass!

also about twin turbo'ing the car. i wouldnt want to do it with the high compression of the motor. i mean it would problably be fine if you did computer controlled FI system with huge huge injectors. that would be wild!!! :eek:

some people report their 302 doing 310hp at 7000rpm. :eek:

well i am moving right now and in a few weeks its gonna be on the strip so ill let you guys know how it goes.

what u guys think a 100 shot of nitrous would do for me? is it worth it?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

ShortyZ. a real genuine 302 SBC needs tender loving care because you have a piece of automotive history if not part of a legend. Nitros,let Zora Arkus Duntov rest in peace

Yeah, probably would be a shame to tear up a genuine Z28 motor - I'm looking to build one for forced induction with a 4-bolt 327 block and a forged 3.00 stroke crank, good rods, forged low comp pistons, alumminum heads w/ big chambers/valves. Probably be collecting parts for a while - credit this thread for getting me started.

Hey, I could be changing the character of the 302 by going the turbo route, but I like several things about the configuration - notably the short stroke and the greater rigidity of the block with a smaller bore.

Shorty, I certainly would like to see that monster of yours. 5k? Man, you got 2-1/2 (at least) more to go!

Guest shortyz

now could u contruct a manifold that would just have one sequential turbo instead of the twin turbo.

tuning a twin turbo can cause a headache from hell. from what i hear from the rx7 crew.

Guest Anonymous

Rick, I am looking for 302 parts too. If anyone got inside of a 302 Z 28, it was one of those rides you never forgot.I am also looking for 383 parts.

i wouldnt use one of the nostalgic motors like a

dz302 or the 70Lt-1, I would sell them to fund a bigger and better motor. dont get me wrong they are great, but they will also fetch a pretty penny, that could be used to build a "nameless"

small block into a killer. if i did v8 i would do the 327 again with some killer bottom end machine work and balancing, and a combo that would give me at least 350rwhp and 6500-7k of shear menace to society, a zippy sports car with some serious torque and hp. but then again im really getting to like these import cars, the parts are much smaller, man imagaine working on a z all day and doing jobs here and again with civics and mr2's, then getting under a chevelle, its a different world-a bigger world. i dont know, im around too many v8's i guess.

All small block Chevys are physicall the same size... The 4" bore of the 302 is the same as the 327 which is the same as the 350. They all used the same block in 68 and 69. Not in 67 where the 302 and 327 were small journal while the 350 has always been large journal, no difference in block rigidity since block casting and bores are all the same.

In a few months, I'll have some 327 small journal stuff to sell. I have a std/std forged (all of the small journal ones were forged) crank with some scrathes that will probably clean up with a .010/.010 grind. Not sure what shape the block is in, it's .030 over but the wash down from the rich/leaking carbs have maybe scored the cylinder walls. The crank in the engine now is a std/std one that was beatiful when I put it in 4000 miles ago. I'm getting ready to commission a 406 and the 327 shortblock in the car will be in my way after that goes in.

Personally, if you just want to spin to 7000, I'd think about a 327 over a 302. The 327 will have a bit more low end torque than the 302 and the pistons will be cheaper, although if you did a 6" rod 302, you could use the standard 327 compression height piston (1.678) and you'd be there. 6 inch rods will allow for lighter pistons in either engine and you'd have a 1.85 rod/stroke ratio with the 327 and a 2.0 in the 302. A turbo 302 or 327 would be nice!

Guest shortyz

i wouldnt want to part with it. its a unique car with that engine. who else has one in their z?

u gotta be differant then 327's and 350's all the time ;)

Guest Anonymous

hmmm....nastyz28.com had the 302 and 350 as the same...must've been a misprint. When I bought the car the guy told me it was a 327. I took it to a mechanic and he said it was a 350. He pointed at a couple things on the heads and block (something w/ accesory holes i think). So how would I tell if it's a 327 or 350? BTW, I don't trust this mechanic too much, I asked him to make to tune the carb and make sure everything is hooked up right and he didn't even hook up the vacuum advance. Any tips?

Thanks.

In 68 and 69 the 302, 327 and 350 could have all had the same block casting #. Only way to know for sure is to measure the stroke or get the casting number off the crank. The counterweight on the bellhousing flange is a little different on each displacement, but you really need 1 of each side by side to compare. Accessory holes in the head suggest it is a 69 or later engine. Date codes can confirm. Also, on the front "pad" of the cylinder block where it protrudes from under the pass side cylinder head there should be a code stamped in the block. That 2 digit (or if 70 or later 3 digit) code should be able to tell you what engine it is and what type of vehicle it was originally installed in. I have a 4 bolt main 327 in my Jimmy using a 69 large journal crank and a 72 350 truck block, so it could be that whatever the number is on the block doesn't neccessarrily correspond anymore. So you are back to the measuring...

Guest Anonymous

David, you maybe referring to the 305 cubic inch SBC as found in many Camaros. A 302 SBC is a rare one with a 327 block and a 283 crank in it's original form produced for 1968-69 Z 28 Camaros (4 inch bore X 3 1/2 inch stroke)Since it is a rare high performance offering, the legend has taken on mythical proportions.

Guest shortyz
Originally posted by pparaska:

quote:

Originally posted by shortyz:

u gotta be differant then 327's and 350's all the time
;)
I guess that's why I'm moving to a 406 SBC
:D

aw yeah! i got another Z with a 400 block going in it also big flares to :D

im trying to think what i can do to improve the perfomance of my motor. im buying a MSD ignition next. and im stumped on what to do. ive been seeing threads about aluminum heads? how many pound do you loose and how much hp is gained with a resonably priced alum head. (i got camel hump heads)

Originally posted by shortyz:

im trying to think what i can do to improve the perfomance of my motor. im buying a MSD ignition next. and im stumped on what to do. ive been seeing threads about aluminum heads? how many pound do you loose and how much hp is gained with a resonably priced alum head. (i got camel hump heads)

Depending on your build, what's been done to the camel humps, displacement, you could gain from 30-70 (or more?) HP with good AL heads. AFR, Pro Top Line, Canfield, TFS, etc. It's not just for weight savings! And you can usually add a 0.5:1 or even 1.0:1 to your compression ratio as well if you use AL heads.