HybridZ

Where do you guys buy your engines?

I've currently got 2.5k saved up, and I'm looking to swap my 280z's engine. 

I've checked

jdmtigerjapanese then researched the company only to realize that they sell engines in poor condition

Ebay then declined to buy an engine off of ebay

I'm only a high school senior and I'm looking for either an RB25DET or a SR20DET. 

I just want to buy my engine at the same location others have had success with. 

Edited by HybridHydra

Save your money. Learn the fundamentals of automotive work by keeping that datsun running while you spend your money on college. When you can realistically save $1000/mo, then consider delving into that kind of a project.... because that $2500 won't get you very far. An engine laying around your parents house and no money left over is useless at best, more likely contentious.

Yeah, that's not the answer anyone wants to hear. But realistic project planning and a pragmatic attitude goes a very long way.

<< Speaking from experience.

Edited by jthom5147
  • Like 1

I second jthom you'd be surprised how fast that cash will disappear and we've all seen way to many projects left to sit due to half finished swaps etc... save that cash and get everything around the swap, brakes, suspension, beefing up the rear end/half shafts and bracing the body to deal with the extra power, electrical, frame/paint/rust you see where this is going...there is so much and if you have a running Z you don't want to start subtracting before everything else is ready. If you decide to go ahead anyways just know there is tons of info here and most likely a Z club near by that I would check out for some help at home, I wouldn't have been able to DD my 280z in college without the guys in the emerald city Z car club helping me with parts and knowledge. Good luck man hope you enjoy your ride as much as I have.

Why not go for the L28ET from a 280zx turbo?

You can pickup the motor from a junkyard for around $500 usually. My junkyard let me compression test mine before I bought it, and it's being running strong.

What are your power goals? You can get 250rwhp/300tq reliably for around $1000 or less once you have the engine. For $1500 invested you could have a 13 second car which is plenty fast for a daily.

I see, although I have 2.5k saved up, my father is willing to help me with another 2.5k.

This project was going to be my senior project to end high school with and 5k seemed like enough to do a complete RB26/5 swap.

Would 5k be enough to justify a L28ET swap?

Why not go for the L28ET from a 280zx turbo?

You can pickup the motor from a junkyard for around $500 usually. My junkyard let me compression test mine before I bought it, and it's being running strong.

What are your power goals? You can get 250rwhp/300tq reliably for around $1000 or less once you have the engine. For $1500 invested you could have a 13 second car which is plenty fast for a daily.

I can't find a junkyard near me that has a 81-83 280zx turbo engine. I've searched junkyards using car-part.com and the turbo engines are pretty far away from me. 

Edited by HybridHydra

I see, although I have 2.5k saved up, my father is willing to help me with another 2.5k.

This project was going to be my senior project to end high school with and 5k seemed like enough to do a complete RB26/5 swap.

Would 5k be enough to justify a L28ET swap?

5K isn't enough to do an RB swap properly(I believe 10k is when you're good). As the basic words of wisdom go, if you can't do it right the first time, it'll cost you more in the long run.

5k into an L28ET swap would be amazing.

I've put around $1500 into my L28ET swap (just the engine part/exhaust/ecu/supporting mods)

You also need to keep in mind, the RB was never made in the states. If anything breaks, you'll need to pay a premium on shipping to get parts over here. If you stick with the L28ET you can get parts everywhere.

5K isn't enough to do an RB swap properly(I believe 10k is when you're good). As the basic words of wisdom go, if you can't do it right the first time, it'll cost you more in the long run.

5k into an L28ET swap would be amazing.

I've put around $1500 into my L28ET swap (just the engine part/exhaust/ecu/supporting mods)

You also need to keep in mind, the RB was never made in the states. If anything breaks, you'll need to pay a premium on shipping to get parts over here. If you stick with the L28ET you can get parts everywhere.

Ok, now if I were to go with the L28ET swap, and can't find an L28ET at the local junkyards what would be a good place to buy them?

Ok, now if I were to go with the L28ET swap, and can't find an L28ET at the local junkyards what would be a good place to buy them?

You could buy a whole 1982-83 280zxt instead. Sometimes on craigslist. This would gives you a lot of very useful parts. Other than that, I don't know much about buying motors from anywhere but craigslist/junkyards.

I hope your project goes well. Again, I still advocate treating it like a project ( with a budget, defined timelines, scope, etc)

I did all of that as best I could with my first car and I overshot my budget by about $1500 due to unforeseen problems, expenses, and scope creep. Even though I was happy with how the swap turned out and other things I did do, I was unhappy with the car because I had cut corners when I shouldn't have and used an imperfect chassis to begin with. I ended up losing everything because I had cut corners on other aspects of the car and gone for the L28ET swap when I should have spent it on drivetrain.

My new car is no longer a DD that I have to juggle keeping on the road and can do it right from the ground up, and hopefully won't kill me like the last one tried to.

Edited by jthom5147

I would highly recommend refreshing the car (not the fun part i know) before getting into a swap. The engines your looking for aren't going anywhere and you definately need more cash for what you're looking to do. You'd be surprised how much fun you can have, and what you can learn with a 150hp in a 2700lb car.

you're going to want to  upgrade your suspension, brakes, bushings, replace old lines, and wires. This will also allow you to square away your fuel system, which it doesn't sound like you've thought about yet.

Before i tear the heart out of my car, everything else will be built to handle and complement the heart transplant and hp upgrade.

Edited by Sovereign Z
  • Like 1

I would highly recommend refreshing the car (not the fun part i know) before getting into a swap. The engines your looking for aren't going anywhere and you definately need more cash for what you're looking to do. You'd be surprised how much fun you can have, and what you can learn with a 150hp in a 2700lb car.

you're going to want to  upgrade your suspension, brakes, bushings, replace old lines, and wires. This will also allow you to square away your fuel system, which it doesn't sound like you've thought about yet.

Before i tear the heart out of my car, everything else will be built to handle and complement the heart transplant and hp upgrade.

Best advice!