HybridZ

Has anybody tried the inner tie rods from Rare Parts?

Does anyone have any experience with the I inner tie rods from Rare Parts??

The first photo is my current tie rods. The second is the picture the inner tie rod style shown on the Rare Parts on-line catalog. Hoping for some input before I plunk down $200 for a pair.

post-5903-0-41360600-1438908712_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-43483400-1438908728_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

Strangely, there are some variations in the racks that I have had. There are racks out there that fit our cars and are sold by "rebuilders" that use inner tie rods that are similar to the 1979 280zx version. Those screw INTO the rack with male threads. Instead of ONTO the rack with female threads. I would post a picture but I turned that rack in as a core.

Strangely, there are some variations in the racks that I have had. There are racks out there that fit our cars and are sold by "rebuilders" that use inner tie rods that are similar to the 1979 280zx version. Those screw INTO the rack with male threads. Instead of ONTO the rack with female threads. I would post a picture but I turned that rack in as a core.

That's interesting.  

I had three different 240Z racks and two 260Z racks, and all the ones that I have encountered had interchangeable inner tie rod ends (though there are at least two types).  I would be interested to see the rack style that you turned in as a core.

I just finished replacing the 260Z rack in my car with one from a 240Z.  During the process, I had both racks apart on the bench for comparison and measurement.  Here were the main differences:

• The 240Z rack is 2.3 lbs lighter than the later racks.
  • The 240Z rack is faster.  The gain on the 260Z rack was 1.59 in/rev of the pinion and the 240Z gain was 1.8125 in/rev.  With the 240Z rack, the steering ratio is 15.8 to 1 and with the 260Z rack the overall steering ratio is 17.8 to 1 (assuming 4.5 inch steering arms).

All of the later racks that I have encountered have been the slow (1.59 in/rev) style, and all of the 240Z racks have been the faster (1.8125 in/rev) style.  I would be interested to know if anyone has a newer 260Z / 280Z rack that has a faster gain than I have posted.  If so, what is the gain of the rack, and what year did it come from?

When I do the tie rods I plan to install the billet short steering arms to quicken the ratio (all because my door bars conflict with my elbow). I hope I can still turn the wheel when the tires get warm and sticky! I can really feel the heaviness of the car when I manage to brake and release properly going into a turn. It's like the weight of the whole car is all on the front outside tire and I'm lifting the whole car when I turn in. If I get off the brake too abruptly and the weight rocks back off the front, the car turns in without so much of a work out. I don't know if this phenomenon is normal or if it could be some dynamic alignment changes during braking. As usual, my inexperience as a driver makes me uncertain if I have a problem or if what I'm feeling is normal...

• 2 months later...

Dexter and I got just a little time in on the Z yesterday and we managed to get the old inner tie rods off (definitely a 2-man job). At the factory they must use a spanner wrench of some kind a (and a lotta torque) to install the inner tie rod ends. There is a lock nut that has a large hex profile that I was able to buy an open end wrench to fit. But we had to use a monkey wrench (pipe wrench?) to bite into the tie rod end to break the torque. I would not try to do this without having some way to avoid twisting the rack itself as you struggle to break that tie rod loose. After getting the luck nut broken free, the tie rod was still affixed to the rack with red lock tite. Fortunately, I had installed travel limiting collar clamps onto the rack itself and I was able to put a second monkey wrench on that to restrain twist of the rack adequately to get the inner tie rod end off. The other side was just a repeat. Both sides of the rack use standard, right-handed threads, so both sides come off counter clockwise. A quick test fit of the Rare Parts tie rod ends confirms that they fit. Pictures and more good things to like about the Rare Parts inner tie rods after church.

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 8 months later...

I'm in the process of cleaning up my rack on a 280z.  I took it apart including removing the inner the inner tie-rod ends.  Got it all clean, regreased adjusted the tension on the ends and pinion, everything fits, looks and moves good.  I start to install the new replacement boots and the diameter of the large end of the boot is significantly larger than the rack diameter.  The boot opening is about 1.9 inches and the rack diameter is about 1.4 inches.  This isn't going to work.  As far as I know this is the original rack on this car but the boot i purchased is supposed to be the correct replacement for this car.  Can anyone confirm the diameter of the rack is correct for this car?  If so can someone point me to a correct aftermarket boot that fits?  I know this has been covered many times but I have seen conflicting and old information.  thanks