HybridZ

Rust, Ruin, & Victory

Finally got my project on the road after a long few years!

Though I know it's decidedly less enjoyable for someone to post an entire build at once, I didn't have the patience to upload pictures along the way so that's all I have. As with most things I took way too many pictures at the start - and then have only a handful to cover months of work later. 

Thanks to all those who helped - both those here who lent a hand with the car when I needed it and those here on Hybrid who hooked me up with parts and advice when needed. 

Bunch of bulk pictures up here:

If some of the build looks familiar, I did start a thread a while back but didn't bother to update and I think most of the links are broken anyway. Figure it will take a few posts to put the pictures up, and that may take me a bit, so in summary:

Over the last two years this collection of parts which was supposedly an SR20:

IMAG0154.jpg

P1000443.jpg

And this rusted out 73 that spent 40 years in Syracuse NY and was probably not worth calling a parts car:

IMAG0362.jpg

IMAG0719.jpg

IMAG0505.jpg

Has been brought back to life

IMG_20150719_184039139.jpg

IMG_20150809_192843476.jpg

IMG_20150809_192916201_HDR.jpg

Work was made a bit slower by lack of a real garage, but my roundtop held up through winter and all. Burned a lot of propane through the winters, learned how to weld (and got too much experience), bought a lot of new tools, pretended I knew how to paint, and spent countless hours carting crap in and out of my basement to the tent.

Victory!

Edited by traininvain

Looking great! I think most of us understand the amount of work and money that goes into a restoration project like this and can truly appreciate the work done.

Looks like your photobucket album is set to private, so can't see the rest of your pics

Engine build actually started before I found the car itself - found a deal on an SR20det that was packed away in boxes and rags.

IMAG0154.jpg

Initially I had intended to do a fairly stock build, and put a considerable amount of time into getting every bolt and hose accounted for, cleaned, and bagged up. It ended up that I utilized virtually nothing from this initial motor purchase - I think I used the head, valves, and the tranny along with a few misc sensors that seemed to be in decent condition.

Everything was dec-greased and sorted -

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

Then I found a crazy deal on an already-worked block locally. Bored .5mm over, decked, cleaned and ready to go. The block ended up being from an S14 (65F) bottom end so there were some minor issues to work through with the older not vvt head which was from an S13 (52F) motor. Mainly additional oil passages that needed to be blocked, and the front cover / oil pump don't share the same bolt pattern.

P1000433.jpg

IMAG0242.jpg

Which of course meant I needed new pistons for the 86.5mm bore . . . and new pistons need new rods of course.

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0288.jpg

Edited by traininvain

For the head I went with BC springs and retainers and BC stage 2 264 cams. A subset of the BC retainers ended up having the wrong inner diameter and the valve stem keepers wouldn't fit. Even though they were second hand BC next-day shipped me replacements no charge - great service 

IMAG0309.jpg

Thankfully I had the sense to keep all the head innards in order when I disassembled

IMAG1034.jpg

Bled lifters - but then ended up having to re-bleed them again later after the motor sat for over a year

IMAG1046.jpg

Shimming the head was one of the areas I was least comfortable with - I couldn't find the tool that used to be made which sat in the SR lifter wells, so I made something from harbor freight goodies that ended up working out well enough but was difficult to use

IMAG1061.jpg

Tomei 1.5mm headgasket = more than I paid for the block haha

IMAG1090.jpg

All together -

IMG_20140302_123721701.jpg

Edited by traininvain

One of the nice things about taking a long time for a build is you can really scoop up deals and aren't forced to track down parts as you need them. I had been on the lookout for a larger T28 turbo, was thinking of a GT28 but then this minty fresh 2871R .64AR came up locally for really cheap and I scooped her up -

IMG_20140303_150140803.jpg

IMG_20140314_175635118.jpg

Greddy/Denso 720CC topfeeds to feed the beast

IMG_20140314_211827011.jpg

Found out later that topfeeds are low impedance and you need to run resistors on them or you'll smoke the injector drivers in your SR20 ecu. Caught that oversight just in time