HybridZ

"280ZX Turbo CV" too long what's going on

Tony240ZT

I have MM companion flange adapters with an R200 and 280zx turbo cv's in my 240Z. My right side boot was torn, so I picked up a rebuilt replacement. The typical PepBoys/AutoZone don't carry these any longer, so I was happy to have found one. On the table at the shop I compared the best I could. The new one did seem a little longer there, but it also had a stronger return spring in it and the rubber boots were much more elastic, so I thought that's what accounted for the added length.

I go to installing it today and it's around 2 inches too long. The splines pop in just fine and the companion flange is the same. So, the ends are identical to what I had, but the length is obviously different. I've been sitting on this shaft for a while, not sure if I can return it at this point. Given what I've described does anyone know what I have? Could this shaft be from a Z31? I may have to sell it to recoup some of my cost, but don't know what its application would be.

In the picture I have the new one (bottom) that I was installing on the right side of the car and the left one (top) that fits fine.

IMG_2255.jpg

Edited by Tony240ZT

It's been mentioned in other threads before:

The replacement units sold by parts stores are z31 axles and are incorrectly marked as fitting a 280zxt also.

However, you might be able to disassemble the one you bought and rebuild your axle, but the axles I bought from Napa and kragen were not able to be disassembled (diff-side cv joint is stuck on and no matter how hard I bang on it it won't come off, short of breaking the cv cage)

It's been mentioned in other threads before:

The replacement units sold by parts stores are z31 axles and are incorrectly marked as fitting a 280zxt also.

However, you might be able to disassemble the one you bought and rebuild your axle, but the axles I bought from Napa and kragen were not able to be disassembled (diff-side cv joint is stuck on and no matter how hard I bang on it it won't come off, short of breaking the cv cage)

Thank you for pointing that out! Luckily the shop still had my core. What a PITA