HybridZ

15x10.5j Wats with s12+8 caliper fitment issue

Need some help on a fitment issue with my 15x10.5j Wats with s12+8 caliper fitment issue. The inner edge of the wheels are preventing the wheels from being bolted on flush and ultimately the calipers are at fault.

I'm assuming machining calipers is not a good idea. Is that also true for the info de of the week?

I'd prefer to avoid any machining if possible. Any insights into the width of the s12w calipers (or other setups) and its ability to sit behind these wheels without any issue?

See if you can post a picture where the caliper and wheel are touching. I had the same problem with the S-8 calipers when I changed wheels. I was able to fix it with very minor grinding of  the caliper using a Dremel grinder. The Dremel allowed taking very small bites of material.

Even though my caliper was also touching the  side of the wheel, I experimented with wheel spacers which eliminated the touching, but I considered the spacers a band-aid fix.  After carefully examining where the caliper was touching the wheel I could see that the casting was thick enough at that point to allow grinding  and ground off (skimming) a bit of metal. After taking off a small amount of material I would refit the wheel to check the interference. After several iterations of grinding and testing,  the wheel went on without rubbing.  Total material removed was less than 1mm. I then road tested the car and have had no problems.

The key to fitment problems is to keep looking until you understand exactly what is obstructing the parts from fitting.  Look for witness marks for where the wheel and caliper are touching. I used a small amount of paint on the caliper where I  suspected rubbing was occurring and refit the wheel turning it to make a mark on the inside the wheel and rub the paint off of the caliper. This was very revealing.  I could see that it was one spot on the caliper about  3 or 4 mm in diameter that was touching the wheel. 

Don't grind the wheel or the caliper until you can evaluate exactly what is causing the conflict.   There may be other solutions than mine, or worst case, you will have to change wheels or calipers.

Again, posting pictures will help.

If using a spacer, step up the thickness of the spacer in increments e.g., 1/8" 3/16" etc. until the wheel clears the caliper. Note that you will need to watch the length of the wheel studs - you may have to install longer studs depending on how thick the spacer(s) are.

Again, try to post some pictures where the caliper and wheel are touching.

The other option you have is to use a different caliper or go back to stock.