HybridZ

cold start issue, more amps from charger needed

280znewbie

I have a 76 280z with a 280zxt swap.  The car refuses to cold start unless i put the charger on it and put 125amps to it.  The battery is brand new and reads fully charged on the charger.  Why is this.  The car will start fine once warm.  Also sometimes the car will light the cylinders at the wrong time and send all 6 cylinders out through the emergency pop valve.  Yesterday my CAS went bad and i have a new one coming.  Could a bad CAS cause this weird fire and starting issue?  Could the CHTS cause an issue when cold?  Once started the car idles great hot or cold but wouldn't rev past 3000rpm

What i have replaced or checked:

Fuel pressure was 36 at idle

cap

rotor

coil

ignitor

thermotime

chts-have a resistance number that is a little off

fuses

have full voltage at ignitor and coil

have 12v at CAS

continuity from ecu to all sensors

Airflow meter doesnt have any dead spots in it that i could find, although the resistance numbers aren't linear

Edited by 280znewbie

I have a 76 280z with a 280zxt swap.  What engine management?  76 or early 80's?  Did you do the work or buy t this way?

The car refuses to cold start unless i put the charger on it and put 125amps to it.   What does "refuse to start" mean, in detail?  And where are you attaching the charger?  

Also sometimes the car will light the cylinders at the wrong time and send all 6 cylinders out through the emergency pop valve.  This sentence is bizarre and makes no sense.  Maybe you mean it misses and pops back through the intake manifold?  Does this happen wile startling, idling, revving, or driving?

Yesterday my CAS went bad and i have a new one coming.  How do you know the old CAS went bad, and do you know if it was good before?

Once started the car idles great hot or cold but wouldn't rev past 3000rpm  Is the car driveable at all?

The system taking more amps implies that you have a short somewhere or a bad component, like a starter.  Something must be taking that energy and getting hot, better be careful.  What's the voltage do if you don't connect the charger?

Voltage is normal. I did the work. Car ran fine for a few months. The Cas isn't putting out the signal voltage changes out anymore. I spent a few hours testing. No signal. Starter is new. Alternator is new. I think the Cas was part of the problem. Not sure if it is all of it. It drives fine until that point. Placing the charger right on the battery. When starting sometimes it backfires through the intake. It has the stock 83 computer. Everything checks out on it. I had it professionally checked.

Edited by 280znewbie