HybridZ

Brake pads are very sensitive to the designed temperature range.  And the temperature your brakes generate is dependent on many things obviously, but rotor/caliper combination is the hardest to predict.  For AutoX I have seen some guys running some really lightweight stuff to reduce unsprung weight. I will assume they run a higher temp pad for this.  But still you need something that develops close to max friction when cold. For track, cold temps are not an issue after 1\2 a lap. But finding the right temp match to pad is not easy if you are running aftermarket or custom setups. I recommend using a temp paint on the rotor to see where you are at and then choosing a pad compound to match. Then you can play with different suppliers to fine tune over time, but it shouldn't affect your times drastically.  

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't have a single critical comment. The car is great!

I'm more excited to see people come out and have a good time! As my project shows, these cars are always evolving, so you gotta take time and smell the race gas.

Just cooked the pads and got some serious heat into the system. No brake cooling to speak of, which with wheels this small and wide is a real problem. The pedal felt alright, but the brake feel just d

Posted Images

Back to the DTC-30's this weekend and I was happy again. MUCH more affirmative brake feel compared to the HPS pad. A little brake drag on the way to the line and they were good to go. Got some more big upgrades planned, so doing some brake temp paint/strips is a good plan. 

This weekend was the SCCA National Tour stop at Packwood. Probably the last major event I'll go to this year, which is a real disappointment as we were planning to make a few trips to California, as well as Lincoln for the big show. Oh well. Car did well, by Sunday I had knocked off most of the rust from sitting around all year and a few of the bad habits learned at the track. Saturday was a mess and my mental state meant wasn't up to par, so I finished down in 6th for the weekend. Hope y'all enjoy this video from Sunday!

• 7 months later...
On 2/22/2021 at 7:54 PM, Jboogsthethug said:

Hey Ben, what are your thoughts about your digi dash setup? Do you like it? Do you wish you did it differently or are you happy with it? Also, if your engine throws codes, it doesn't show up does it?

Lol engine codes. 

The digi dash is run off the RaceCapture box, which is primarily a datalogger for the car and gets info from the MS3 via CANBUS. The dash itself is a Amazon Fire 7. It was a good solution at the time, but I've been thinking about upgrading to an AIM PDM with a 7" display. The Amazon Fire tablet is a bit dark and hard to see in direct sunlight, but let's be honest, you're not staring at it most of the time. 

The Racecapture software lets you customize the dash pretty thoroughly, so I've got warning screens that will pop up if my oil or coolant temps get too high, or if battery voltage drops (belt gets chucked).

Overall, this was a good budget solution for also integrating more data acquisition into the car. 

On 2/27/2021 at 12:53 PM, Ben280 said:

Lol engine codes. 

The digi dash is run off the RaceCapture box, which is primarily a datalogger for the car and gets info from the MS3 via CANBUS. The dash itself is a Amazon Fire 7. It was a good solution at the time, but I've been thinking about upgrading to an AIM PDM with a 7" display. The Amazon Fire tablet is a bit dark and hard to see in direct sunlight, but let's be honest, you're not staring at it most of the time. 

The Racecapture software lets you customize the dash pretty thoroughly, so I've got warning screens that will pop up if my oil or coolant temps get too high, or if battery voltage drops (belt gets chucked).

Overall, this was a good budget solution for also integrating more data acquisition into the car. 

That's great info, that points me in the right direction! So if/when you get the AIM PDM are you just taking out the racecapture? Maybe I'm just not seeing it but it seems like all of AIM's displays are also dataloggers aren't they?

1 hour ago, Jboogsthethug said:

That's great info, that points me in the right direction! So if/when you get the AIM PDM are you just taking out the racecapture? Maybe I'm just not seeing it but it seems like all of AIM's displays are also dataloggers aren't they?

Most AIM systems include a datalogger setup in the dash, the exception being the Strada series. The PDM system includes a "dumb" dashboard, and the datalogger is in the PDM. The AIM software is a bit easier to use compared to the RaceCapture, and it's a bit more track focused. RC is very much the "megasquirt" of the data world. 

I think this is the first time I went through your entire thread. And I have to say you have done it right. I am more into road race now, but if I were building an FP car today I would follow a similar path. Personally I believe lowering both sprung and unsprung weight is the key. I really like your brake and wheel setup. The only disadvantage you have is not using an early 240 shell to start with. But you have almost compensated for that. I am familiar with the John Thomas car and really his only advantage is the weight, a strong Rebello engine, and most of all, his extraterrestrial driving. He runs like 30 or 40 lbs ballast in passenger floorboard. Keep tuning and improving!