HybridZ

CX Racing Oil Pan Review - RB26 into 240z

NylonAdmiral

When I was looking for oil pan options for my RB26 install, I spent quite a while looking for reviews of the CX Racing oil pan.  I couldn't find anyone who had anything to say about the product, but had found that a lot of people were similarly looking for reviews.

I bought one recently so thought I'd share a review of it as this was something I'd been looking for myself.

If you can't be bothered to sit though the full length of me waffling through the video, then I wrote a shorter blog post on it here.

Hopefully it will answer some of the questions I've seen people asking about this oil pan.

Edit: In the video above I mention about further inspection of the oil pickup, you can see it here:

Edited by NylonAdmiral

Thanks dude, just trying to share what I learn throughout my build.

I bought them from a company called Ike Engineering here in the UK but they're readily available, I'm sure you could find them in the States if you look online.

Here are the ones I bought.  I expect if you contact them they'll post them to the States but I'd be surprised if you could buy them over there.

Edited by NylonAdmiral

@05plsrt4 no you don't.  I would suggest though that if you're going to do the mods that I did, you carefully consider the fit of the windage tray.  I shaped my new runners to fit around the windage tray.  I covered all top surfaces in white masking tape, offered it up, noted where the tape was marked, ground the metal away, cleaned the whole pan out again so as not to leave any FM on the windage tray and then repeated the process until it fitted nicely without clashing anywhere.

@Nisssmo510 The small bracket they supply bolts straight to the block.  You then bolt the oil pickup flange to the block.  At the filter end of the pickup there's another bracket which is an integral part of the pickup itself, this bolts to the small bracket and essentially braces the pickup.  The CX Racing item is a lot longer and an entirely different shape to the standard one so I guess it's designed to add a bit of strength to the design.  When I next remove the oil pan I'll take a photo for you and post it.

Im using the same pan. I also noticed the same things. Although my pickup mating surface was not bowed and sealed up pretty nice. I didn't see in your review... but I have heard from several others that some of the holes don't line up. The only ones I had to enlarge were the big ones with 2 studs. I also has to trim some of the welds back for the bolts to sit flush. I personally think it was an awesome deal. I got it direct from CXracing here in the states.

Im using the same pan. I also noticed the same things. Although my pickup mating surface was not bowed and sealed up pretty nice. I didn't see in your review... but I have heard from several others that some of the holes don't line up. The only ones I had to enlarge were the big ones with 2 studs. I also has to trim some of the welds back for the bolts to sit flush. I personally think it was an awesome deal. I got it direct from CXracing here in the states.

Yeah, the holes aren't brilliant.  I haven't put every bolt in yet; it's currently just held in place with a few.  I could be wrong but the holes just look like they were done with a hand drill and many of them seem to be way too big (I.e. it's something like an M6 bolt but the holes are about 10mm).  Like I say in the video and the blog post, I also thought it was a good deal.  Even though there are a few things which need addressing, there are still lots of really good features.  The welding is really nice and clearly a lot of work has gone into it.  What you get for the money is pretty good in my opinion.

@Helghast7, I've been looking at that. Any pics or links to a thread would be great.

• 2 weeks later...