HybridZ

volt/fuel gauge in 240z

notothisrealm

Yup, that's right! EZPZ.

Connect them with a short 5mm or 10-24 bolt and nut and insulate VERY well. Use a big piece of shrink tubing ideally. Connect in a short piece of 18 guage red wire with ring terminal and connect that to the voltmeter. There is also a ground wire on the volt guage. Lots of plain black wires in the harness in with the guages that you can use.

Tricky part is finding the volt fuel gauge from a 280 and swapping its guts into the 240 Amp/Fuel housing. Actually its simple. The swap, not the finding...

Edited by z240

Ah good, you have a gauge.

Easy to tell which of the two black wires is for +12 and which is for ground. Just hook them up to a battery, first one way then the other. When the gauge reads +12, you have it right. Then hook up that black to the thick white old ammeter wires. You may have to connect the other black wire to ground.

Ah, just went and looked at a gauge. There is one black wire with a red band around it need the connector. Dollars to donuts that's the +12 wire. I'll go do the battery test myself to confirm

Edited by z240

The charge light is a nice to have, but knowing the voltage is all you need to determine if you are charging or discharging. A fully charged battery is at 12.6-12.8 volts, your alternator should be able to produce 13.8 - 14.2 volts, you'll see it when you first fire up what's "normal" for your alternator. Then if the voltage falls below 12.8, you're discharging. Anything above 12.8 and you're charging. That's the beauty of the voltmeter. Running voltage PLUS knowledge of charge/dis-charge.

As to connecting a thin wire to the splice where the two white connect, just tuck the bare end of your new thin wire under the nut/washer you're using to connect the white wire ring terminals. Wrap it clockwise, the same direction as you tighten the nut. Better yet, crimp a ring terminal on the end of the thin wire. Chose a size with the same hole size as the white wire ring terminal and join them all with the same bolt.

Yes, you should be able to measure a voltage on the yellow wire when it is disconnected and the ignition switch is in the on position. The usual test is to breifly ground the yellow wire. When working correctly, the fuel gauge should go to full (past it more likely) rather quickly. Have a helper watch the gauge so you don't have to leave it grounded very long as it is hard on the meter. Just a brief touch should do to see any movement of the meter needle.

Edited by beermanpete

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello, did  you ever find out where the wires to the charging light go. I'm doing the 280Z  60 amp alt. upgrade with the jumper plug , which has a diode in in , that plugs in to the voltage regulator connector.  a lot of bits and piecing together of info. This shouldn't   be that hard. I think the charge light should definitely be working. If you know can you let me know. I'm am going to make this work some how. Thanks, Bill. 

WTB 280Z Volts/Fuel Gauge - Wanted - The Classic Zcar Clubimage.jpeg.cb5a30f6b658f0f23551404e6de5e41e.jpeg