HybridZ

5.3 wont start could it be the ignition??

I have a 73 240z with 5.3 and the car wont start.  When I turn the ignition on, I can hear the fuel pump turn on but wont start.  No click, click, click when trying to turn it on.  I check the fuses and wires and all looks fine to me.  I also checked the fuse in the fuse box and all is well.  Any suggestions??/

Thanks in advance

"On" typically means the "Run" position.  "Start" typically means the position to send power to the starter solenoid and turn the engine over.  "Trying to turn it on" could mean either.  You can get clicks in both positions.

Have you measured voltage anywhere?  At the battery, at the starter?  Get a meter and measure some stuff.  Could be a dirty cable connection.

Lol you need to learn to troubleshoot.First off no click click click and no cranking I assume? Second off you have checked your battery voltage I assume? Third this car has actually started in the past I assume (and how long ago last?) Fourth you have checked for voltage at the starter I assume?

"On" typically means the "Run" position.  "Start" typically means the position to send power to the starter solenoid and turn the engine over.  "Trying to turn it on" could mean either.  You can get clicks in both positions.

Have you measured voltage anywhere?  At the battery, at the starter?  Get a meter and measure some stuff.  Could be a dirty cable connection.

Ok, I'll do it.

Lol you need to learn to troubleshoot.First off no click click click and no cranking I assume? Second off you have checked your battery voltage I assume? Third this car has actually started in the past I assume (and how long ago last?) Fourth you have checked for voltage at the starter I assume?

That is true, I need to learn how to troubleshoot.  First, no clicking sound; I check the battery and it's fine; the car cranked an ran 2 weeks ago; lastly, I am not sure how to check the voltage at the starter.

Places to start:

1. Low voltage-try jump starting it.

2. Bad wiring from switch to starter (I have this problem). My buddy used a jumper wire from the hot wire to the activation wire on the starter. It makes a big arc so be careful to insulate any tools you use. If that kicks the starter over, there's your problem. I'm currently using a jerry-rigged (no offense intended to any of my German friends) push button switch that by-passes the stock switch. It's ghetto (crazy how slurs have thoughtlessly become part of my vocabulary) but it works.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Places to start:

1. Low voltage-try jump starting it.

2. Bad wiring from switch to starter (I have this problem). My buddy used a jumper wire from the hot wire to the activation wire on the starter. It makes a big arc so be careful to insulate any tools you use. If that kicks the starter over, there's your problem. I'm currently using a jerry-rigged (no offense intended to any of my German friends) push button switch that by-passes the stock switch. It's ghetto (crazy how slurs have thoughtlessly become part of my vocabulary) but it works.

Long screw driver is my favorite choice for jumping the starter. Touch it between the two terminals (One terminal has the fat wire straight to the battery, one terminal has a small wire from ignition switch).

How did you check the battery? If you have some form of voltmeter then use it on the starter, put it on the terminal with the small wire and see if that has volts when you crank the car. If the hammer trick works then know your starter is on the way out, If you don't have any form of heat shielding on your starter and wires you should probably get some. Could be bad ground wire as well, could be corroded to crap inside and you cant see it.

I think the 5.3 wiring harness, Assuming you're using a "stock" type harness uses a starter relay that if bad will cause that.

No, there are no relays in the engine wiring harness. There is a heavier gauge wire that goes to the starter solenoid but it terminates at a plug on the other end which will go to the fuse block/bcm and crap on the stock 5.3's vehicle. Assuming you didn't pull out the Datsun's wiring and are using the same cable to the new starter as went to the stock then its going to be a matter of a bad wire, bad ignition switch, bad battery, or bad starter. Jump the starter and see what happens

Thanks to everyone for all of this good advice.  I am going to try the push start switch of Ebay and by pass the old wiring. 

Update!!

I purchased a cheap push button switch off Ebay and now it starts fine.  I had to run a wire from the starter to the push button switch. 

Edited by milesz