HybridZ

5.3/T56 swap noise--video inside

Stock 2002 5.3l and rebuilt T56.  PCM and wiring harness from donor vehicle (standalone).  

The issue I'm having is the ticking noise you'll hear in the video.  It definitely sounds more prominent beneath the vehicle, but I can hear it from the top.  I thought maybe it was the T56, but the noise doesn't change/go away with pedal pushed in, left out, in neutral or in gear.  OBD2 is not wired up yet, so I don't know if I have any codes.  Seems to be running fairly well, but no street time (not registered/scared with the noise).  

In the video I go in the cab and push the clutch pedal in, out and give the throttle a little blip--sorry for the straight pipes.  

Any ideas?  If not t56, then I'm thinking that I have a dead lifter.  The driver's side head had to come off in order to have an exhaust bolt extracted/tapped and I'm worried that maybe I didn't find exact TDC when I torqued the rocker arm back on.

I appreciate the help.

Doug

After doing some more research in this thread

http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/1766042-ls1-engine-noise-after-clutch-swap.html

Could I potentially have a shim issue? I didn't shim my slave cylinder, or really measure it at all(bad on me I know). I'll try putting the back on jack stands and see if the clutch disengages in gear.

Sounds like an exhaust leak.  Why would you be looking at your slave cylinder?  You said it doesn't change with clutch actuation.

I thought exhaust leak at first as well. I did kind of mess up my passenger side 3-bolt flange when I made my exhaust system.  I got lazy and didn't bolt the passenger flange up before tacking the downpipe section in place. This resulted in the flange not sealing correctly once everything was welded up (all one piece). This is why I cut the pipes and made sure they were sealing at the header.  I'm grasping at straws  :wacko:.  I'm trying to think of anything that would be rotating at idle, in neutral.  After thinking about it a little more, the throwout bearing would have stopped making noise once the pedal was pushed, correct? 

It does sound like an exhaust leak , but there is another noise it sounds too fast at idle to be a lifter , look for something rubbing  around the flywheel area maybe a bent dust shield .

I had to use a GTO starter because of the bellhousing I bought.  I noticed that the plastic dust shield doesn't quite cover the opening around the starter.  I'll check in that area.  I'm worried because it sounds like metal to metal rubbing (which is why I thought throwout bearing at first).  

-Exhaust leak (a) -sounds like several

Seems too fast for a single lifter

-rust on waterpump pulley

-crank pulley rubbing on steering rack

-Flywheel bolts rubbing on pressure plate

-bad idler pulley on "fan belt"

-Throw out bearing bad

-pushrods too short or bent

-Main bearings/cam bearings bad

-bad bellhousing index

Get a mechanics stethoscope or put a long screwdriver to your ear and start listening to things to try to localize it.

Edited by RebekahsZ

20150911 224759

20150911 224733

20150911 225120

Can't start it tonight, but I have a feeling that this is my noise culprit.  I'll check tomorrow and update. 

-Exhaust leak (a) -sounds like several
Seems too fast for a single lifter
-rust on waterpump pulley
-crank pulley rubbing on steering rack
-Flywheel bolts rubbing on pressure plate
-bad idler pulley on "fan belt"
-Throw out bearing bad
-pushrods too short or bent
-Main bearings/cam bearings bad
-bad bellhousing index

Get a mechanics stethoscope or put a long screwdriver to your ear and start listening to things to try to localize it.

I will definitely check all these tomorrow if the noise is still there.

Redwine automotive it looks like you were right.  That broken dust shield was just getting beat up by the flywheel.  I started it up today and the noise is gone and the motor runs great.  Thanks for the help everyone.

Edited by ukcats07

Thanks for posting the results, too many times we don't get an update on the fix.

I've come across too many threads (not necessarily this site) that do not update to do such a thing.

On a side note, I finished the exhaust last night and drove it around the block this morning. Great feeling, considering I had a perfectly running complete 302/T5 swap just under a year ago and I did it all during USAF pilot training.