HybridZ

BEST MODEL TO INVEST IN? 240, 260, 280

CHATZ

Just wanted to throw this out there. Which would be the best s30 model to invest in?

What seems to make the most money? or get the most attention? Is there a good year or engine size that came out and everyone went 'That's the one to have'

Quite ofter the very early cars seem to be the ones people want to collect? Quite often the company sorted out all the problems and by the end the cars were the best of the lot!

Take the e-type for instance though, and the early 3.8 roadster series is a GOD and the later v12 is a train wreck in my opinion. 

I am new to the Z world though and just wanted to know what people thought?

From my research the earlier the z and the least molested ....are the ones that get big money .So a fully stock 70 240z will fetch more then my fully stock 74 260z or even a monster 600hp 78 280z .

So grabbing one of the first Zs ever built and is still original ....is where the money is in the collector Z market ......again from my research .

I guess it's only a matter of time before investors ruin the Z car market. Lock all Z's away in a garage under a cover so they won't lose any value!

It will not get ruin , a lot here want their Z to be worth high coin as any other classic , yes in time they will be unattainable to some and some will be very happy that they have hold on to them.

I would say the vast majority have bought these economical cars to have fun with because they have been for the most part good bang for the buck. I certainly don't want to see these affordable fun cars spiral out of control so that the average beater is in the neighborhood of $20k just to start. I bought my 240z to personalize and pound on. 

Yep, next thing they will only come out from under the covers to go be parked in a parking lot and feather dusted by dbags wearing datsun shoes with matching datsun shirts and jackets. These were meant to be drivers cars, hence the reliability. Get one of those delicate cars like an etype and lock it away. Let the Z be free!

I would say the vast majority have bought these economical cars to have fun with because they have been for the most part good bang for the buck. I certainly don't want to see these affordable fun cars spiral out of control so that the average beater is in the neighborhood of $20k just to start. I bought my 240z to personalize and pound on. 

+1

IMO, if you're in it for the money, you bought it for the wrong reasons.

Which would be the best s30 model to invest in?  

An investment strategy is something you talk to your financial analyst about....  These are a passion.  That said:  Early model production seems to drive the high $$.  Those are the ones I would feel bad about major modifications, so buy one of those that was recently restored - you can probably buy it for 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of the restoration.   Keep it for 5 years, maintain it, and you can probably make a few grand.  A lot of these cars are worth more in parts than as a car, so there may be money in that area.  

What seems to make the most money? or get the most attention? Is there a good year or engine size that came out and everyone went 'That's the one to have'

They all look very similar (bumpers and mods are the exception).  If you can get one of the first 1000 produced, go there.  They will continue to appreciate.

People make connections with cars...  In the 70s, US cars lacked an identity, and were junk.  Some of the Japanese cars filled a void left from the muscle car era.  These cars may appreciate slightly in value, but there's very few "Mach 1"s, Ellenor, Hemi Cuda, etc. models and they are locked away somewhere.  

So, find a car you like, play with it and maybe you'll have fun and won't lose much money.  Maybe you'll get lucky and make 20%.  If it's about money, don't do it.

Just my opinion.

Mike

Quite often the company sorted out all the problems and by the end the cars were the best of the lot!

The S30 was pretty much sorted right from the start. The later cars got heavier and slower due to increasing regulations.

I wouldn't buy a Z as an investment, much more fun to modify and drive.

Take a later 280 and strip some weight out of it, bigger brakes and cam, suspension mods. Or an LS1 if you want to get crazy

I bought my 240Z because I think the look and style is beautiful, its reliable, affordable to maintain, and a blast to drive. The appreciation is just the icing on the cake, dont buy a car to try to make money because you may be very disappointed in the end.

Buy an enthusiast auto because you love it and the experience and fun you get in return is worth more than monetary compensation.