HybridZ

240Z muffler dimensions

I posted this in the L6 forum but have not gotten a response so I am reposting here.

Can someone post the dimensions for the OEM 240Z resonator and muffler.

Making a custom exhaust and it would help if I had these specs.  The factory parts manual

seems to show the forward resonator as oval and the rear muffler as round?  most

of the aftermarket systems offer an oval rear muffler?  Any input is appreciated.

• 8 months later...

I realize this is a long-overdue answer, but in order to help out the community and anyone else who may be curious, here is your answer. On my stock 1973 240Z exhaust system, the resonator has a round body with "bullet" shaped ends. From where the end meets the pipe to the other end where it meets the pipe, it's 12" long. The body is 3-9/16" in diameter. The muffler is constructed in a manner not unlike a soup can, resulting in raised edges at both ends. From the end of those raised edges to the other end it is 14" long. The muffler body is 6-1/4" in diameter (the lip-edges are slightly bigger around). Where the exhaust pipe enters the muffler, the muffler has a little bit of pipe that protrudes to accept the exhaust pipe. The protrusion is 2-1/4" from the raised edge. The tail pipe that exits the muffler extends 8-13/16 beyond the lip of the raised edge. It flares out to a 2-1/4" outside diameter tip. The exhaust pipe itself is a puny 1-11/16" outside diameter. 

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this in the L6 forum but have not gotten a response so I am reposting here.

Can someone post the dimensions for the OEM 240Z resonator and muffler.

Making a custom exhaust and it would help if I had these specs.  The factory parts manual

seems to show the forward resonator as oval and the rear muffler as round?  most

of the aftermarket systems offer an oval rear muffler?  Any input is appreciated.

Take a look at this

http://jdm-car-parts.com/blogs/news/16149728-fact-about-factory-muffler-on-early-datsun-240z

http://jdm-car-parts.com/blogs/news/15973536-original-oem-type-muffler-and-down-pipe-finally-launched