HybridZ

Coil Suggestions

Blob1620

Ive been chasing my tail with the runability of my rb25. Its a fresh rebuild, i now have about 1000 miles on it, and it still seems to have basic runability issues. Has a little fart (misfire) now and again when its cold and warming up, AFR is comfortably in the 12's range when Im at full throttle, and my timing is set to stock 15 degrees base timing. The power is very underwelming, and when I get up to 6500-6800 rpm or so, it randomely breaks up, almost like hitting a soft rev limiter.

My searches for the rev limit with a stock ecu have come up with a wide range of oppinions. But since it seems to be different every time, Im more suspect of an ignition issue. It has factory coils, ive gotten better runability every time I close that gap more (currently at .8mm) and dont feel Inshould be closing it more.

Has anyone had similay runability issues whne their coils were startig to give up?

A bit of work? Go to your local junkyard pick up some LS coils with their harness for dirt cheap. Wire them up as per the write up on NICO which is basically match the colors to the coils and add an extra power and ground.

BAM your done, coils that will pretty much last forever and are stronger than most coils that go for double or triple the price.

What about the Australian hot rod coils I keep seeing around? has anyone run them? seems a more direct replacement, and similar/less cost then the LS coils. Are they really just not any good?

Yellow jackets, Splitfire, racing parts warehouse..... are non of these worth buying?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, ok.

Been doing some looking into this, and I must be google dumb because I cant find literature on the MojoRacing setup...  Anyhow. I'm going to try the dielectric grease "rebuild" band-aid and see if that does anything while I keep searching for some LS coils. Building my own bracket doesn't scare me. I just am not in the position to waste money on something I need to redo a month later at the moment. 

Thanks for all the input folks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, personally I had LRB Speed make me a coil cover, and I just welded bosses for the coils.  LRB Speed pre-drilled the portion for the plug wires.  

However, I'm also using LS1 coils, and not the truck coils.  He did the coil cover for about 70 shipped, then I bought the bungs online for 25 bucks, and had a shop weld it up for another 30 bucks.  

I bought the coils on the forums for 100 bucks, had to buy wires 65 bucks, and the coil covers 130.  So about 300 bucks complete.  Just had to wire it up myself

• 1 month later...

I did the ls2 coil swap with the mojo performance bracket, connectors to modify the harness care of wiring specialties. the picture was taken half way through with the wiring not yet complete, but it gives you the idea.

Initial impression, big time improvement. still a vibration at 3k rpm but come to find out my FPR is failing so theres a new one on the way to fix that. this thing should be pretty angry when its done. :)

post-47983-0-34865400-1453226663_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Blob1620