HybridZ

Project Rex Killer, 240z LS3

I picked up some the eBay 170 dollar price point Speed Daddy headers. There actually not to bad and are 1.875 primaries. I did move the collector back a little and reworked the front pipes to add some length so peak tq would come on earlier, I also cut the collector up and added a merge on the inside and choked the collector itself.

The alterntor, idlers, tensioner and vacuum pump are all my own brackets. With the headers where they are things were tight fitting so I had to place stuff where they fit the best. I did have a JZ power steering pump mounted and a Suby rack, but ran out of room for hoses and resaviour so that's why I have the mustang 2 rack now Alternator is a truck, tensioner is from an early 90's Chevy

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to get some pics of the radiator install last night and the setup measures 19x27. I'm running a 16 inch fan that is PWM controlled via megasquirt and it has a manual override

Last night I was able to get the 3 inch wheel studs installed in the 300zx hubs, my tranny can wired in and during the install I put off wiring in the tranny brake till I realized on Saturday that I need it to have reverse!

So all that brought on a slight modification to the shifter, one to get the micrswitches working proper and I had to grind on the position paw a little so it will hit nuetral before hitting the reverse lockout mechanism

Ill post pics in a while on the radiator

Back story in the intake. I've been making intakes and headers now for random things for about 10 years. I found a niche in the volvo community where I have designed a production style sheet metal intake for the turbo 4 cylinder that makes pretty good bolt on whp. In that time I have learned a lot and really refined the fabrication process

This intake started with a dxf file that I drew up and gave to a buddy with a cnc router setup and had him mill out the flanges with stock oring style intake/head sealing. I then worked out a die process on the hand press that formed 2 inch 6063 Intercooler piping to get the transition from squareish to round. I then modded some dies to make the velocity stack

Working with my genius math friend at the dyno we calculated runner length based on the peak rpm I wanted to make hp. We chose right around 6800. We also chose a plenum size of almost 2-1, I ended up close to 700cu on that one with the coffin design to slow the air a bit as it enters then tightens up to speed the air as it gets close to the back cylinders

I picked up a sweet 92mm throttle body for it to and converted to a ford PWM style idle motor

I make my own injectors bungs for these and fuel rails. It's all -6, but run 16, 540cc injectors I've had such great luck with staged injection on my 2jz that I wanted it for this motor too. I'll be running pump gas through one set and the staging equal to a separate 116/30% ethanol mix to get 104 octane in the chamber as the motor is 12.5-1 compression I have it come on with tps and rpm

So far egt's are within about 60* of each other under partial load at 4500 rpm

The ecm deal is a long back story too. Condensed version. I got involved with megasquirt way back in 2000 when it was all email and group buy stuff. Life moved onto stock ecm stuff in 2005 for a trail truck I owned and then after trying and having huge fail with AEM series 2 on the 2jz, I went back to megasquirt and got involved heavily with ms3Pro. That's been on the car for several years and after having great success with staged injection on that motor, there was no question the LS was getting a Pro too. This also makes it so I have 2 ecu's at the house. I've been involved with firmware testing and new features getting added for a long time and am currently working with them on some launch settings along with pushing for sequential staged injection!

I'm also using microsquirt to control the 4l80e. MS3 and micro talk over canbus. I'm also running an canbus egt box and have 8 probes for dialing in cylinder to cylinder fueling

I'll be honest. It scared the wits out of me thinking about setting up canbus. So at first i got communication with each project over its own USB port, and actually fired the motor with zero tranny communication. But then I decided one evening to tackle it. I had read enough posts on it and sure enough, the developers were looking out for guys like and it really just autoconnects. When your connected to the master, or ms3pro in my case, it's a matter of opening the tranny project and searching for it, tuner studio finds it and connects up, same with the egt-can box. Now seeing how simple it really is I'm not afraid to try out the add on gauges that some have devoloped.

I've even left room on the Ecu board for another microsquirt. James has a code for it that turns the micro into an extension I/O platform giving you much more inputs and outputs. I'm about out of both and want to log and control a few more devices so I may get one of them in the near future

I'm lucky to have a great finace. I have a 15 year old boy and a 6 year old girl. I clock in on the car about 9 at night and work till 11 or so and I get most of all Saturday's. It's been a lot of fun

Was able to shake it down a little at a local 1/8 mile at an old airstrip. Car Gos straight and leaves pretty good off the Tbrake. I'll finish off the cage and get my floor patched up this week and see about a 1/4 mile this Friday

IMG_3308_zpsvg4ydsu1.jpg

Edited by nathaninwa

Ill see about getting some video from my son tomorrow. Was able to make 6 passes down the 1/4 at Portland international raceway tonight. It gets dark so early I made no chassis adjustments, just air pressure. Car needs more converter for sure, I stall out on the brake at 3100 and car runs a 1.6/1.7 sixty but falls on its on the launch, then comes to life. I'm crossing the finish about 6000rpm so I can go a little deeper with the gears, to maybe a 4.30 with a 29 inch slick and run the 28 inch et streets at the 1/8th mile and just run that gear as an all setup

Off the trailer the car made a 10.8 pass at like 132, then ran a best of 10.7 at 132, then more 10.8 passes till I started running out of fuel in the race tank. Burnt up 2 gallons of 116 in 6 passes which means I also burnt 2 gallons of 92 for a total of 4 gallons in 1.5 miles!!!!

All in all I'm 110% happy with how this car is feeling right now and can't wait to get the converter restalled

Thanks guys, cars feels solid and nice driving down the strip. It Gos straight and doesn't act funny at all

I ordered some tr6ix plugs for Tuesday. Plan this week is to hit up English Racing on Friday afternoon and dyno the car. This will get me the data I need for a proper converter Then on Sunday, the plan is to get both my cars to Pacific Raceways in Kent and make a few passes in each and possibly get both on the track at the same time