HybridZ

Another "No Tach"

zacward

Finished my MS1 3.57 install but have a few issues. 280z, just figure everything stock except 420cc injectors.

1. Tunerstudio and the MS ecu lose comm during cranking. The main relay has power during cranking, maybe down to 10 or 11v but still good power.

2. No tach signal. Pin 24 (white) goes straight to coil negative      JP1 is jumpered 2-3, J1 is jumpered 3-4
  Would anyone recommend using one of these to isolate a good signal? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8910/media/instructions
3. Would I have better luck taking the tach signal from the oem ignition control unit?

When cranking and watching multimeter on the neg side of blaster 2 coil its spitting out all kinds of voltages, 12v, 8v, 10v,14v...
Everything ran fine with the carb, ignition has not been touched.
And why am I not permitted to upload my msq tune or logs to here?

Edited by zacward

So it sounds like you've connected MS to the coil's negative post. While MS can work that way, it's an antiquated method. Sounds like you might have configured the input incorrectly too.

V3.57 Opto-isolator (for coil negative fuel-only triggering):
a ) Find JP1 in the bottom right of the board. Place a jumper across positions 2 and 3
b ) Find J1 in the middle of the board. Place a jumper across positions 1 and 2
c ) Place a jumper from XG1 to XG2 (just to the left of J1 above U3.) In exceptionally noisy situations it might be required to remove that jumper and instead runs XG1 out through a spare connection on the DB37 and through the loom direct to the engine.

With a 280z, you can directly connect the VR sensor in the distributor to MS. One wire (either red or green, I can't recall) to pin 24 and the other to a ground pin on the ECU. Then configure the jumpers for a VR input. If the coil VE method is still causing the ECU to reset, I would recommend going this way.

I got it, MEGA Z is running. Had to pull tach input from the blue wire on the OEM ignition module for my pin 24. The MSD blaster2 coil sends a dirty, dirty signal.

While I do still lose comm when cranking, the MS unit stays powered. I vaguely remember that some installs have that problem but cant remember the fix.

• 2 weeks later...