HybridZ

P0102 5.3 swap solution

I swapped a 2002 5.3L into my 73 Datsun 240z and re-worked the original suburban harness using lt1swap.com. When I started it up I had a really rich condition and today I finally had the chance to wire the OBDII and run the codes and I only had the P0102.

I checked all my wires to the MAF and found that my five wire sensor has a yellow, pink, black, tan and black white wire. My yellow wire had good continuity at the PCM, the pink wire had 12v, the tan wire had 5v and the black wire had a good ground. My black/white wire did not match lt1swap.com 2002 PCM pinout and did not have continuity at the PCM. I must have over-looked it during the re-work. It's only a ground wire for the IAT, so I cut it and ran it straight to a good ground.

I had an issue before finding this bad ground where when I had the O2 sensors connected, the car would run extremely rich and barely idle. If I had the O2 sensors disconnected it would still run rich, but at least it wouldn't bog down or attempt to die. Now that I fixed the ground wire, I was able to start it up with the O2 sensors connected and it ran great (idle only) with no hints of running rich.

Side note: I checked the headers with an IR gun and my passenger side is reading around 450-500 and my driver's side is more like 250-300. Any advice on where I should start with regards to this?

Doug

I just finished an ls6 harness from a vette.The lt1swap.com had some of what I needed but I ended up going on www.alldata.com and getting the oem diagrams .The website lets you see or print the pages that you need.All wire colors/pin positions were %100 accurate.Cost is $24/year.Have you tried another maf?Or cleaned the maf?Sometimes if you put too much oil on a k&n filter you will get codes.I dont ground any sensor wires-there is usually a sensor ground return wire on the ecm.I never depend on a body/chassis/engine ground connection.

You swap anything on this motor or is it all bone stock 5.3 stuff? How are you tuning it, hptuners or something? Could be a bad MAF, truck wiring harness in good shape? You get rid of VATS?

Stock LS1 intake and injectors--bone stock otherwise. Brendan at lt1swap flashed the PCM with the appropriate changes. I don't have the ability to tune it and haven't been able to get it to a tuner. After grounding the wire for the IAT, the code went away and the motor is running much better. The truck harness was in great shape, I think I just missed that the white/black wire needed to be grounded. The only issue I'm having now is fuel starvation. My pre-filter to the walbro is too restrictive. I drove the car around the block and halfway around I threw both knock codes and the fuel pump was whining like my two year old. I can make the pump stop whining if I tap the 90 degree filter while it's whining. I'm going to put a less restrictive filter before the pump and see if it fixes the problem.