HybridZ

N47/N42 into 73 240z: Can I use Crane xr700 ignition module?

Floorless240z

I have a 72 240z I'm putting an L28 into (n47 head n42 block). It didn't come with an ignition control module, but it did come with a new in box Crane xr700 ignition module. The L28 distributor already has an electronic pickup. My question is can I use the Crane system with it, and if so what wires from the distributor to the ignition box are to be spliced together? You can see in the photo the red/blue wires from the distributor and the 3 grey/white/black wires going to the module

I called Motorsport and they said the ignition module was compatible with the 280z/zx distributor using the 280zx pickup, but didn't know the wiring specifically

Thanks in advance for any info

2092E60E-47C9-4B0E-A248-E57CA5110BCD_zps

The XR700 without the optical trigger is no better, probably worse, than a later model 280Z ignition system.  Any Z igntion system after 1978 will flow more current through the coil and allow wider plug gaps.  Crane developed the XR3000 as the next level ignition module.  The XR700 still requires a ballast resistor to limit coil current.  It was designed to replace points with an optical trigger.  Without the optical trigger, it's pointless.  Which is ironic.

In other words, you're spending a lot of effort on something that's not that special.  Install a GM HEI module and you'll have a more modern high energy ignition system.  And it's easy to connect to the 280Z pickup coil leads.

The XR700 without the optical trigger is no better, probably worse, than a later model 280Z ignition system.  Any Z igntion system after 1978 will flow more current through the coil and allow wider plug gaps.  Crane developed the XR3000 as the next level ignition module.  The XR700 still requires a ballast resistor to limit coil current.  It was designed to replace points with an optical trigger.  Without the optical trigger, it's pointless.  Which is ironic.

In other words, you're spending a lot of effort on something that's not that special.  Install a GM HEI module and you'll have a more modern high energy ignition system.  And it's easy to connect to the 280Z pickup coil leads.

Just the advice I was looking for, thank you. Found a write-up here:

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/gmhei.html