HybridZ

Driven Daily Hillclimb 2016 Build

So scrapping it is better than taking an offer that you don't deem "reasonable"?  Honestly 1500 is pretty steep for what your selling. You can normally get a whole car for that amount. Realize this stuff is getting harder to find and be nice to someone and give it to them rather than trash it. Its Christmas after all..

I have enjoyed watching your progress and cant wait to see it done. 

I'd consider $500 to be a reasonable offer, if it saves me the work of having to take it to a scrapyard. I don't have the time to give it to someone. A $1500 s130 won't have good compression, and requires the buyer to have space for an extra car. The only offer I've received was $1000 delivered, and that's not even a remote option. 

The Datsun Parts group on Facebook is more active than classifieds here or Ratsun, and I've had the same post on Craigslist. I imagine KS has a pretty different market for parts than New England does, I believe I know every member on here, classicZcar, and Ratsun within 200 miles of me on a first-name basis. Craigslist is pretty dead for car parts around here, unless you happen to be looking for hellastance wheels with motorcycle tires on them because swag.

While I'm not opposed to donating (I've been a donating/supporting member for most of the time I've been a member here), it's another barrier to entry. I'm strapped enough for time that any of those barriers to entry make me question whether or not the result is even worth it. In this case, I decided it's not.

the l28et is sold, I got a reasonable offer. It's most likely leaving the garage on Sunday, then I can have some shop space back.

When Joey gets to 'go time' he really drops the hammer. There are a few really fantastic things going on here, even though it isn't even close to finished. The sill bars are actually going INSIDE the rockers, and the seat pickups will be connected directly to the cage. I have to thrash another project together in short order, but then I'll bring the engine/transmission up to have everything lined up and get a driveshaft made. It's finally hit the point where it's no longer 'coming apart' and is starting to 'come together'. I'm extremely pleased so far.

We're relying on good geometry and design for safety, rather than using big thick materials. Almost all of this is 1.5" .095 DOM
23449600379_c472f7cbde_c.jpg
23449600199_e2806da684_c.jpg

Shooting to have everything together and street legal by April, still. I'd say it's on track at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
A little bit of a sidetrack, but I finally have the stickers I've spent far too long designing and ordering tests of, to find just the right supplier. Support the project (and a few other projects) and order some! I'm looking forward to seeing these on some other peoples' daily drivers.

23423839854_66406bfbbd_z.jpg

the l28et is sold, I got a reasonable offer. It's most likely leaving the garage on Sunday, then I can have some shop space back.

I'm glad you got it sold.  I really wasn't trying to be a dick. I'm sorry if it came across that way.  I just hate seeing people throw parts away because they don't get what the deem they are worth.  Something is better than nothing is how I see it i guess.   

I like the stickers. I would buy some if I had seen them 6 years ago when My 260z was my DD :D

I'm glad you got it sold.  I really wasn't trying to be a dick. I'm sorry if it came across that way.  I just hate seeing people throw parts away because they don't get what the deem they are worth.  Something is better than nothing is how I see it i guess.   

I like the stickers. I would buy some if I had seen them 6 years ago when My 260z was my DD :D

I hear you, some sellers are elitists. That's not me, I just needed selling it to make more sense than scrapping it. I still haven't made it up to actually see my s30. As soon as I finish getting my new daily driver assembled, I'll be able to take that trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Slow and steady is ready for the first race.

Up in Vermont, Joey added a little bit more material to keep the trees and rocks outside of the car. The interesting design point here is that each tube in the door bar is continuous, which is more consistent/predictable in failure (CRASH!) than a more traditional single-continuous door bar would be.

Most older-style door bars have one continuous tube that runs from the driver's shoulder to the driver's shin-area. That's excellent, but the reinforcement bar isn't continuous, it's two halves of a tube coped to fit the single continuous bar. They tend to break at the welds (rather than bending and deforming) and the sharp edges make their way through the passenger cabin. It's a great deal better than nothing, but the tests (and in-person crashes) I've seen overwhelmingly support double continuous bars. I'll still want a vertical reinforcement bar that connects the driver's knee-area to the top-of-the-windshield area for some rollover protection.
23869150309_f003fbc013_b.jpg
24128913912_923fd1ba23_b.jpg

A little suspension reinforcement in the front always helps too.
23608995074_2e697d668a_b.jpg
24211133916_3ec29c4f88_b.jpg

I'm also focused on logistics for this season. The new trailer design is in the works, but I'm going to wait to update on that 'till I have something physical to show. I'm pretty sure the HANS is getting replaced with a different restraint system. HANS is fine for most forms of racing where a head-on collision is likely, but hillclimbs are just as likely to put you on your roof ... backwards ... 8 feet in the air in a tree (I've seen that happen twice in one season). I really want to get something that secures the head/helmet in side-on impacts as well, and I'm considering a containment seat if I can find something I like at a decent price. The sides need to be removable for daily driving, which is a bit of a problem.
21528490774_538d32449f_b.jpg

If I build this turbo motor the way I've been planning to, it looks like I'll be in SP2 for 2016, then SP4 for 2017 (with water/meth injection). I still need to source the wheel/tire combination I'll be racing with, but that's definitely something I can put off for awhile. More updates to come as soon as I have my CRX back together and can take a drive up to Vermont to see the car in person.

• 4 weeks later...

That makes much more sense. The concern is getting the seat far enough back so there's sufficient legroom. My plan is to place the seat on fixed mounts, and have moveable pedals. It seems much simpler to just have moving pedals (which are not a safety component during a crash) than to have a moving seat (which I'd rather have as secure as possible than adjustable). Also, the firewall can be moved quite a ways forward with no discernible disadvantage that I can see.

Edited by Jesse OBrien

Sorry for the downtime, I got a little distracted with our rules/awards banquet coming up this weekend. I just put together a video from the 2015 race season, just a series of slow-motion startline launches of the various cars that were racing during that run. I got most of them, along with a couple Miatas. I was surprised to see that my launch was pretty much perfect (car 365, right around 55 seconds). What you're looking for is a ratcheting movement, where the tires are right on the verge of losing grip, but aren't free-spinning. I also found it really interesting to see how the different Subarus are front-bias or rear-bias, even those with identical gearboxes and differentials.

Also, Sean showed up with his Datsun for this event! Serious inspiration for me to get mine wrapped up.