HybridZ

Manual transmission options

He does a decent job of explaining the Collins kit for the cd009 6 speed to LSX. The thing with this kit is you could also run a 5 speed from a 240sx off the ka24 motor but price would be the only pro of using it IMO. I'm still trying to convince myself I'm gonna go the route of the nissan 6 speed and the collins kit. The way I see it you can find used 350z/g35 trans for roughly $5-600 with "decent" miles then add $400 for the actual adapter itself and you're only in for $900-$1000. Granted this is not considering the clutch you would have to use and the super confused looks of the driveshaft guy but the T56 transmission has gotten to be like the R154 transmission in my area. Every shade tree dude that happens to rob one from an F body is convinced they are molded directly from Gods' image and asks a minimum of $1500 for insane mileage.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A T56 from a '98-02 Camaro or Firebird, or a GTO, (and maybe  CTS-V but I don't recall for sure) are your bolt in options.The T56 from the earlier camaro's with the LT1's have the wrong input shaft. The Corvette transmissions don't work either, they are set up with a torque tube. There is at least one Z on here runnig that torque tube set up, see Phantoms build or car. Some people are also fitting the TR6060, look for Crapforum's build.

I'm running a '99 Camaro T56 with a custom torque tube set-up that uses Channel iron- not a C5 torque tube. Patience is the word when sourcing a T56.

If I didn't get a pullout, I would try to go to one of the newer tremecs that go behind the newer LS's. I haven't driven one personally but several people say they shift way better. The reason they are so much, is Americans haven't been too much of sports car people in the past. They all want automatics in their cars, so there's not as many T56s floating around as they should be. How much difference is the Mustang version of the T56 than the GM version?

He does a decent job of explaining the Collins kit for the cd009 6 speed to LSX. The thing with this kit is you could also run a 5 speed from a 240sx off the ka24 motor but price would be the only pro of using it IMO. I'm still trying to convince myself I'm gonna go the route of the nissan 6 speed and the collins kit. The way I see it you can find used 350z/g35 trans for roughly $5-600 with "decent" miles then add $400 for the actual adapter itself and you're only in for $900-$1000. Granted this is not considering the clutch you would have to use and the super confused looks of the driveshaft guy but the T56 transmission has gotten to be like the R154 transmission in my area. Every shade tree dude that happens to rob one from an F body is convinced they are molded directly from Gods' image and asks a minimum of $1500 for insane mileage.

Or pick one up from Courtesy Nissan Parts brand new for $1762.23 + tax.  Haven't looked into the difference between the sport package and standard package transmissions, but they are the same price, just different part numbers. http://www.courtesyparts.com/auto-parts/2010/nissan/370z/base-trim/3-7l-v6-gas-engine/manual-transmission-cat/manual-transmission-scat

Still looks like more economical price tag than the T56 of unknown mileage, especially where it seems most take outs need a rebuild.

Edited by 1969honda

I was borderline on just getting a T5 and rocking it until it broke and then getting an upgraded unit but I ended up finding a good deal on a TKO600 5 speed trans. Sets up just like a T5, dimensions are about the same, about 20lbs heavier than a T5 but still a good amount lighter than a T56, and cheaper too. I picked mine up used for less than $1500 and got a bunch of extras with it. You can get a 600 with a .63OD 5th gear, almost as good as the T56 OD.

Rated for 600ft/lbs. You can get a TKO500 as well, good for 500ft/lbs. Uses LT1 style external hydraulic clutch slave setup.

I'll be test fitting everything shortly, I know the trans itself will clear everything fine, only possible hitch is the clutch slave/exhaust clearance but hopefully that is a non-issue

Edited by hornedcow

I have looked a decent amount into transmissions now and I have friends running a quite a few of these different setups and here's what we have found. Keep in mind however none of these men were driving there cars gently in any sense of the word. I have a one buddy running a world class t5 in a built sbc s10 on 295 Mickey thompsons and if he drives it regularly like he did last year he will blow about two used transmissions a year. This may be because he's running used transmissions but they seem to shift and be in good condition when he installs them. I have another buddy that has a fox body equipped with the oem t5 and his oem t5 lasted till over 100k getting beat the crap out of, the car does not produce a lot of Hp however it is all stock with bolt on's. Another one of my fox body buddies is at 491whp with a turbo and he could not get world class t5 to last more than a couple of events. He now uses a tko 600 he installed about a year and a half ago and has beat it up a lot since then and last I heard it is still shifting great. I have heard from a decent amount of people and know one personally that all say avoid buying just a used t56 alone, there is usually a reason there separated from the engine and being sold alone, the gentleman I know personally that got his from a gto had to replace second gear. However there are many people on here that have had great luck buying used ones so that is just one mans opinion take it with a grain of salt. As for the 4l60e I had one in my pre runner Silverado using a 4.8l with a whipple supercharger and I could not get one of those things to last me more than a year on 35" tires in a lightened up Silverado, because of how many times I had to swap them out after a full day of work then school I hate 4l60e's I do however wonder sometimes if the gentleman building my trannys was a idiot since I was young, dumb and went with the lowest bidder, who was building them in his basement in Tacoma so that's just something to think about. The 350z transmission doesn't seem like a bad option I had one in a vortech supercharged 350z with 391whp and it held up for the short time i drove it and I never heard any complaints from the buyer. I did however only drive it for about two weeks before It had issues I got ticked off made a rash decision and sold it so I can not truly vouch for that transmission. My only personal usage experience with a t56 was in my c5 z06 it had around 450-500whp and it held up great the year and a half I had it beating the crap out of it the whole time, launching on 315 drag radials constantly and running 11's after installing a tick adjustable master cylinder for smoother shifts it is my personal favorite for any tranny I have owned. After taking all this into consideration here is my consensus. If you want to go in a straight line, build over 1500hp or are willing to use paddle shifters a 4l80e is a great option, even oem they seem to handle some pretty crazy power. For me a manual in a road race car is a must so the two options I came down too were the jerico dog box or a t56 magnum. Both are very expensive yes but here is my way of looking at it, I don't want to build a car with a $2000 dollar weak link so every time I step on it I'm scared the trannys going to give and I end up being scared to drive the car how I built it to be drove. I personally will be purchasing a t56 magnum they are rated for 700ft lb of torque which I was told means they failed at 1400ft lb of torque when tremec tested them. In our little light cars that leads me to believe it shouldn't even be sweating at 700hp from a turbo 4.8l which is my goal.

• 2 weeks later...

If I had it to do over again, and dealing with some of the headaches I dealt with, I'd go one of two routes if I did this over... I would either stick with the TKO600 I had, which is reasonably light, reasonably durable, and parts sourcing is solid.  Couple of gearing options help with decision making there too...

Or...

I would buy the TR6060 or magnum.  I now have one in my 2012 Grand Sport and that transmission feels like I'm shifting the gearbox in my Porsches... It is just so solid, so mechanical, and so magical to row.  I hope my custom T56 shifts as well, but I fear it won't... Ugh...

• 3 weeks later...

heres what i am using behind a 5.3 with a small turbo..i researched it a bunch and i like the dimensions etc..check the link..they are cheap and easy to get..theres a guy selling them on ebay as over runs..brand new...this is apost i found on  Pontiac site and i follwed  it thru..ive seen these transmissions range from 250 to 1200...top end is brand new over runs...its smaller than a munice or t-10...so it works for an S30 platform..when i say smaller i mean width and height..oh one more thing..its a rail shifter and the shifter comes up thru the floor in the front of the S30 shifter hole..it actually hits the factory hole...but just towards the front edge.and theres aftermarket shifters etc..its becoming a popular swap

$400 for a low mile seems to be normal...carparts.com can locate one from a local salvage yard...

"This would make for the most economical 5spd overdrive swap you will find. The slim profile could make it a bolt in swap in many applications.

I had planned on putting this behind the 326 in my Lemans, but stumbled upon a T-56 so now I'm headed a different route. This is an Aisin MA5 or AR5 from a 2007 Chevy Colorado truck with 75,000 miles and a Novak adapter for mating the transmission to the standard Muncie/Tremec/Borg Warner transmission pattern. With this adapter, you can mate this transmission to any factory GM bellhousing and bolt it up to any GM engine while maintaining the stock clutch, linkage, throw out bearing, etc.

The Mallett LS2 V8 Solstices also used this transmission so it is up to the handling some power (light weight of Solstice helped). I'm not sure I'd put it behind a built 400, but stock maybe. It should handle any mild 326/350 no problem.

You can see a discussion about a guy that was planning to put it in a 64 GTO here:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/colo...wap-63568.html

Aisin AR5/MA5 Info:
Same yoke as TH350/muncie/etc.
Same transmission mount as TH350.
Same input shaft spline and diameter as TH350/muncie/etc. Input shaft length for a Muncie is 6.5 this transmission with adapter is 6.75, which shouldn't be an issue.
Gear ratios: 1 - 3.75 2 - 2.26 3 - 1.37 4 - 1.00 5 - 0.73 R - 3.67
Applications: Based off same design as Toyota Supra R154, but with updated synchros. Some Supra guys have submitted them to serious power.
Synchros: Triple cone synchros"

adapter..i have seen thes used as low as $150 on ebay

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/engine-to-transmission/ax15/kit-gmax15

this all came about by the crawler market..its popular to put ls motors in Jeeps with the aisin trans,,novak makes everything to adapt it to the jeep transfere case..but..just the front half works for swaps..and uses a stock 35 dollar type bell..some more research and you should be able to figure out the whole swap..

heres an example of a new over run selling for less than 800

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-GM-04-12-Colorado-Canyon-5-speed-manual-transmission-GM-24235297-/161867612045?fits=Year%3A2005%7CModel%3AColorado&hash=item25b00fbf8d:g:Gf8AAOSwYHxWKo9j&vxp=mtr

heres a 17k mile for under 500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2012-Chevy-Colorado-GMC-Canyon-5-Speed-Manual-Transmission-17k-mile-4x2-2wd-/131715628029?hash=item1eaadcfbfd:g:LRAAAOSwwE5WX6Fy&vxp=mtr

Edited by marxjunk

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the T56s that my buddies have found used have needed total rebuilds.  You can buy a T56 or a T56 Magnum from Summit or Jegs new for the price of a used tranny plus a rebuild.  So why not start with a new unit?  Honestly, there is no reason to have a 6speed on a Datsun.  A 5 speed is plenty, and even a 4 speed can be fine.  Check out your options for a T-5.  I think a top-loader style internal linkage would be most desireable.  We use a 4-speed to 150mph and only need a 5 speed to go up to 175mph.  6th gear is just a gas mileage gear, and I never use it.  Do a little research with the old google and look at LS motors and old-school transmissions.  It is possible and likely cheaper.  I have a NV3500 5 speed out of an S10 4.3 truck hooked up to my 6.0 LS in my truck.  We used the clutch and pressure plate and hydraulic throwout bearing from a 2004 4.8 liter LS-equipped Silverado.  The T6060 has a crazy linkage and a weird slip yoke-I'd stay away from that if you can.

sorry to kinda thread jack but I'm swapping an LS2 out of a trailblazer into my '74 260z what kind of power is your motor making I thought NV3500s were only rated for like 325 ft/lb max and the 6.0 puts out 350 ft/lb (or so I've been told) I would honestly rather run the nv3500 but I'm worried about it being destroyed after a week of driving

OK, its (NV3500) not the best transmission in the world compared to more expensive options.  If you can get a T56 Magnum from somewhere like Rockland Standard Gear and have them put an F-body shifter extension on it, you can't beat that.  I'm sure the NV3500 shifter is gonna come out of the console closer to the radio than the F-body T56.  I guess it all depends on what you want.  My next Z (I've got a line on another car in 2 weeks), will have a custom trans tunnel to allow me to alternate between a Powerglide and a Liberty DR5 clutchless.  If the trans in my truck (NV3500) pukes, I'm gonna replace it with a T56 Magnum.  But, it is doing fine with the NV3500 so far.  I even drove it 2 hours with no oil in it.  I then added oil and its doing fine.  Is it the best (?)-no.  Is it better than the VW bug I grew up driving-hell yeah!  Maybe you guys should look in to old Muncie transmissions-there used to be tons of them around.  You guys gotta remember that while your engine may make 350hp at 5200rpm, how much time do you really spend at 5200rpm?  Almost none.  You don't need a million-dollar tranny, so don't neglect any tranny that will fit.  Look into whatever tranny the old Scarab was built around and see how they got the shifter to come into the tunnel in the proper place. Having something that fits the car is way more important than having a tranny with some fantasy torque capacity.

That kit ONLY works with the CD009 transmission, it will absolutely NOT fit any other transmission. The 240SX 5-speed you mention is a completely different unit.

• 1 year later...

Most of the T56s that my buddies have found used have needed total rebuilds.  You can buy a T56 or a T56 Magnum from Summit or Jegs new for the price of a used tranny plus a rebuild.  So why not start with a new unit?  Honestly, there is no reason to have a 6speed on a Datsun.  A 5 speed is plenty, and even a 4 speed can be fine.  Check out your options for a T-5.  I think a top-loader style internal linkage would be most desireable.  We use a 4-speed to 150mph and only need a 5 speed to go up to 175mph.  6th gear is just a gas mileage gear, and I never use it.  Do a little research with the old google and look at LS motors and old-school transmissions.  It is possible and likely cheaper.  I have a NV3500 5 speed out of an S10 4.3 truck hooked up to my 6.0 LS in my truck.  We used the clutch and pressure plate and hydraulic throwout bearing from a 2004 4.8 liter LS-equipped Silverado.  The T6060 has a crazy linkage and a weird slip yoke-I'd stay away from that if you can.

I am interested in your NV3500 5 speed.  I am planning on going manual and was thinking about the t56 but for the cost, the s10 tranny is looking pretty good.  Do you have any more info on what parts as needed (I have the 5.3) or did you do a right up? 

I didn't do the swap in my truck. And at 137k miles on the tranny, I've lost the synchros in 2d gear. So I'm driving it like a very wide-ratio 4spd. I think you can use the clutch and flywheel from a 4.8L equipped truck, and the master and slave cylinder are from the S10. Do more googling to double check that.

I wish there were more people using the CD009 behind the v8's. I bought another Z knowing the trans and rear would need to be replaced, but there isn't much out there from people that have actually used the CD009 SBC/ls combo.

• 3 months later...

I dunno. I enjoy driving my truck. I've auto crossed it and drag raced it. I tow my race car with it. It's not a bag of trash. It's fine. Folks complain about this tranny is notch or this tranny is sloppy. Until I have a full-throttle clutchless or sequential vertical gate shifter, I'm not gonna be happy. So everything is less than I want. I'm waiting on S1 Sequential to finish their shifter and I will probably blow $2-3,000 to try their shifter and probably having my spare tranny converted to a dog-box. I'm also hoping to have my .56 6th gear converted to something more like .75 if possible. So, while I dream of having the perfect gearbox, I'm obviously willing to settle for less in the meantime. Figure out what you want the car to do. Look up you're anticipated tire diameter, and look at available diff gear ratios: 3.90, 3.70, 3.54 and learn about the different ratios available in the trannies you would consider. For crying out loud, until the 80s, a hot car had an external-linkage 4-speed, and folks beat the snot out of them. Don't discount a Muncie or a Richmond or a Saginaw. With the right rear tires I can go 150mph with a 4-speed and 3.54 gears.

^^^^^^^^^^ +1

I am running an old school saginaw 4 speed in my z. I paid $20 for it from a coworker and I put another $80 in the rebuild. These have been used in heavy cars with healthy small blocks for 40 years. No reason it won't hold up well in the z. 

Same as the nv3500 that is being discussed, these cheaper options may not hold up forever in a 4500lb pickup or or 4000lb car, but we are talking about a light car with limited traction in most cases. And for a guy like me on a budget, a T56 is never going to happen.

It is simple, I can work on it and if I blow it up i'm out $100 

OP has found his transmission so my apologies to him for dragging this thread on.. 

I didn't do the swap in my truck. And at 137k miles on the tranny, I've lost the synchros in 2d gear. So I'm driving it like a very wide-ratio 4spd. I think you can use the clutch and flywheel from a 4.8L equipped truck, and the master and slave cylinder are from the S10. Do more googling to double check that.

Clutch, flywheel and pilot bearing from the 4.8 is a direct fit for nv3500 also old 4 speeds and the like. Just bolt the tranny on and go. 

NWZ, I know you are happy with the 4 speed.  But, I put 1300 miles on a T56 on the hot rod power tour and loved it.  The .54 final drive combined with the 3.73 rear gear made it fantastic to drive on the highway and it town.  In this day and age I would personally never run a 4 speed again.  My other Z is 3.36 rear gear and 1:1 final drive and it screams running down the highway, I will keep the over drive every time.  JMHO, Richard.