HybridZ

Stock Car Mafia's '78 280z LS2 Build

Well time definitely has been flying and there has been a lack of time spent in the garage and more on other priorities.  I think it's been about a month since I was able to get some solid work done.  

Sunday I was able to get some time alone and wind down in the garage.  I got the cars moved out and a lot of tools and stuff put away and garage swept.  I got the daily driver waxed and set for the next couple months.  

I did get the new S30 front grill from Skillard.  I wanted to try something since I have a huge open area for road debris to fly through.  The install was pretty simple and wasn't too bad.  I will have to take some pictures when I can and post them up.  I eff'ed up my front air damn cutting to make room for the grill where it wasn't necessary...oh well.  The grill is powdercoated black and doesn't look too bad!  

Ha I know how this goes.  I can set a tool down and literally not remember where I put it 5 minutes later.  

I've learned to use my SS cart to put my tools on.  All sockets get put in a smaller box and most other items just randomly on top.  I still spend more time looking for tools than actually working.  I don't know any way around it!  #carguyproblems

It can be hard to find time to clean up!  I usually clean when I cant find 3 tools in a row.

I've had extremely long days going through ISO 9001:2015 auditor training this week.  I was able to take the car out for a cruise and to get gas for a car show I am going with some relatives today.  

Leaving the development, I was ripping through the gears and the damn shifter broke!  It turns out the bolt on the lower mount snapped and the shifter was only connect by the other and flopped around.  I was able to pull off and turn the car off to investigate.  I ended up using a portion of the bolt threads to at least align the shifter so it could be used.  Drove to the nearest hardware store 20 minutes away and got a new one.  

Edited by Stock Car Mafia

• 3 weeks later...

I've been away from the forums for some time.  It's just been busy with life and enjoying time with family and family events.  I don't think I will have time to prepare for the hill climb in Waumandee, WI this year.  It looks like a hellufa time.  

I took the car out briefly earlier this week and was able to get the speedo calibrated.  It's good to see a closer to accurate speed :)

I don't think I will have time to prepare for the hill climb in Waumandee, WI this year.  It looks like a hellufa time.  

I mean, if it makes the drive there, it's prep'd enough for the event.  It's not at all a serious thing.  Actually, if you hit a cone or a hay bale setup for chicanes you're done for the weekend.

One guy did it in a 50's Dodge PowerWagon last year.

I'm still not actually sure if I'll be there or not.  I know there are still spots open, but, the return road has like 800' of gravel due to temporary repairs from flooding and the paddock is somewhere besides the pizza farm as there is a wedding there that day.  With the wedding, I dunno what there is for places to stay nearby either.

I definitely know it wouldn't take much to get down there for it.  I can't find the time to seal my quarterpanels up yet.  Yes they are still open :/  I get that tire rub on really hard bump or dips in the road.  It haven't had it in a long time but I don't remember how rough the roads are on that section.  

Are you going to go and spectate?  I have a working list of outside house projects to complete before it gets too cold...

There's not really a good way to watch.  I'll most likely be there to run, though.

PM me your e-mail and I'll forward you the one that Tom sent out about the event.

I can't find the time to seal my quarterpanels up yet.  Yes they are still open :/  I get that tire rub on really hard bump or dips in the road.

I'm surprised you've not taken care of that yet. Then again, I've still not bought the welting for the flares.

Edited by bramagedained

PM sent.

It funny after putting in all the time last winter, but at you understand when the weather is nice, the to do list gets put off to the side.  

Definitely.  Just today I was under my car just to check fasteners and inspect stuff.  Also tried to bandaid the exhaust leak with some copper RTV until winter comes-we'll see how that does tomorrow.

I forwarded the email,  while doing so realized I could have just pulled yours up from PayPal.

Have you checked anything underneath and noticed anything that has come loose?  I really am banking on luck because I have double checked nothing since I got it on the road.  But I do feel confident everything was torqued to spec and I've had no issues since.  Coming from stock car racing where we would check every nut and bolt after each race night....lol No worries on the email, sometimes it's just easier to ask.  

I've been doing a lot of thinking about a Procharger install.  In order to get it to fit I would have to convert to a C6 ProCharger set up and convert to the Corvette drive system.  I'm not sure if there is room for the damper to clear the crossmember and I hate the look of the high mounted alternator.  I guess it couldn't hurt to fab up my own alt. mount else where.  I do believe I would have to hack the rad. mount off and move it forward to make room for air intake tubing.  Overall I think it is doable.  And reason for going centrifugal belt driven...I don't think it would be wise to go with a roots/twin screw that would just blow the tires out in the low rpm.  The torque curves for turbos seem to be all over the boards and not as linear.  I don't need CRAZY horsepower as I want this to be a road car.  Plus with the compression ratio of the LS2 is 10.9:1 so I will be very limited on the boost I can throw at it safely.  I am motor limited right now.  But hey we all love to dream.

• 2 weeks later...

A supercharger is definitely more linear than a turbo.

Too bad you didn't make it to that hillclimb, it was good fun.

There was a guy there with an orange 5.3 swapped car that I don't know-who did better than I did.

I'm still waiting for the e-mail with everyone's results.  I think I made top 10, beating one of the pro-touring built cars.  My fastest time of the day included a 2 second penalty, too.

Edited by bramagedained

I hear you man.  We had to do a clean up and final inspection on the girlfriend's townhouse so I don't think I could have if I wanted to.  

Did you talk to the guy with the 5.3?  It is always great to find other guys with similar cars.  Make sure to post up the results on your page when you get them!  

So a little good news although not much.  I finally found a cowl hood for the car.  It looks identical to what Rebekahsz has on his car.  From the sounds of it, the company who used to make them must have gone out of business years ago.  I'm hoping it isn't distorted and fits well but we will see probably late Sunday.  I have a wedding packed weekend coming up.

SHHHHHH!!!! I don't need O'Reilly knowing.  My thought is exactly that.  Either ceramic coating isn't what its talked up to be or the job I got isn't good quality.  I'll be wrapping the next starter and possibly the headers down the road.  

We will see what kind of shape the hood is in.  Now with the starter acting up I may park the car and call it for this year.  Possibly I'll get it replaced to make the last CnC.  

Do you think the header just cooked it?

I can't remember what your headers looked like near the starter.

I kind of want a cowl hood as well, but, have the same fears as you for buying a used one. 

The starter was taken out last night and got a new one ready to be exchanged at O'Reilly.  I am looking for the best idea to wrap the starter on short notice.  

I did get the hood on Sunday when we got back from my brother's wedding.  The two front corners of the hood got crushed in shipping.  Other than that the hood is in pretty damn good shape.  I don't know if I want to dick with shipping damages as I've done that in the past and it is a BITCH.  Other than the the hood looks fricken awesome!  Now, the hood and car need paint...

20161002_162350_zpsvggwriqa.jpg

Now, it is just up to me to figure out exactly how I want the hood to be mounted.  I got 1" angle aluminum to see if I can make my own front brackets.  I don't think the hood frame will allow the stock latch so I may have to do hood pins...

20161002_161438_zpsfkudzfbp.jpg

20161002_161512_zpsqwxhbl7d.jpg

20161002_181215_zpsgqncj5dw.jpg

20161002_181224_zpsybc4jddm.jpg

20161002_181248_zpsip5iaeus.jpg