HybridZ

Subaru Sti R180

So after some extensive researching and reading. I'm strongly leaning on getting the rear Diff from a 2005 STI with the 3.9 ratio. I've read that many people use this diff, and it has been but not behind an lsx motor. I'm planning on having a 5.3l with around 350hp, so it should hold up. But I was wondering if any other members could chime in who have this set up. 

• 2 weeks later...

The size of the ring gear is definitely a limiting factor.  It's about leverage.

But the too hot for an ungloved hand, maybe not so relevant.  That's not very hot.  I love a good reason to go dig up some obscure information though.  I'm sure the diff got much hotter than too hot for a hand.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20100020960.pdf

Also depends on whether you are going to drag race it (one extreme) or just in a street car with tires with a 300+ treadwear rating.  It will work for one and not the other, it's what you do in between that leaves a question mark.  Sticky tires, autocrossing, etc. will be on factor and it's torque that kills the diff & axles, not HP.  Better to be a little on the "beefy" side than too "light".