HybridZ

2jz drivetrain questions

Shock_Strauss

Hello everyone, I've been trying to do quite a bit of research in regards to this swap and I'm trying to plan accordingly. I've already taken a look through the drivetrain section but would like to hear whats done specifically on 2j swapped Z's.

I have a built 2jz-ge with quite a few things done to it that should handle some big power. I'm looking to put this in my recently acquired 78 280z. I'm really curious to see what you guys here are running for a transmission as well as your rear differential with your cars hp. I'm looking to run a maximum of 800whp but will mostly leave it around 500whp or less as this is a street car.

I currently have a 350z transmission with collins adapter kit however this isn't set in stone. I'm currently looking at PMC's kit that will let you use a multitude of BMW transmissions or possibly the z32 5 speed. The car currently has the stock r200 which after reading the differential sticky, seems pretty strong.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I havent installed it but my friend has the same set up and has ran for 15k miles no problems. Im going to run 6sp CD009 from 350z, R200, Wolf Creek axles, and aluminum drive shaft. My friend has upgraded to rear adjustable suspension not sure if that helped. He did shred his stock r200 mustache bar. He upgraded to R230 rear end from q45 and the techno toy tuning mustache bar which I have as well. That rear end is pretty stout, I love my wolf creek axles. He is running around 600hp and has ran fine no drive train issues after the mustache bar fix.

Also does the 350z transmission fit in the 280z tunnel? On my 260z I had to cut it in order to fit the trans in.

The guys putting VQ35/37's into the S30 don't have to do much to fit the motor in with the trans. Seems like you can "massage" the firewall/tunnel area with a bfh and be okay.

Yea late 260z and 280z you can massage the tunnel. The 350 you dont need a dual clutch? A guy sells the kit I think his one kit can do 800hp? Collins and the other kit from maverick. I believe the 350z trans is a great option, its cheap at junk yards and brand new its $1700 plus shipping. Clutch selection isnt bad either, they have been known to hold decent power.

I should have said twin disk instead of dual clutch sorry. However, it looks like the highest rated kit (800+) from Collin's requires the twin disk setup with the 2jz's auto flexplate. I just took a look at  Mavericks kit and it looks like it doesn't require machining any more and I can use a standard 350z clutch. I currently have Collin's adapter but I might try maverick's if I stick with the 350z tranny. Anybody here running maverick's kit?

Honestly I compared the two and its the same. The 'only' benefit to mav is that you can use any 350z clutch which is cool, but costs more than collins. However Collins no longer needs machining. After awhile he started sending kits that dont need to be machined. I think that started after last year. 

I should have said twin disk instead of dual clutch sorry. However, it looks like the highest rated kit (800+) from Collin's requires the twin disk setup with the 2jz's auto flexplate. I just took a look at Mavericks kit and it looks like it doesn't require machining any more and I can use a standard 350z clutch. I currently have Collin's adapter but I might try maverick's if I stick with the 350z tranny. Anybody here running maverick's kit?

I've got the V1 maverick kit. I also had their SR20 kit, which is my my bell housing is machined. If you need big power handling capability, go with the spec twin disc designed for this swap.

Also the new version of the maverick kit no longer requires machining.

Edited by Geno750

When I bought Collins kit It required the use of the 2JZ's auto flex plate with an adapter that used a 350z flywheel/clutch combo. Not entirely too sure how much has changed beside the custom flywheel he has now. For the majority of the time I'll be around 500whp but I'd like to have the ability to hold any extra power I throw at it. I'd use the twin disk setup, but I heard they don't last long and can be a pain to drive on the street.