HybridZ

81-83 5 speed front housing

pnoland

Iv just recently acquired a 5 speed that the person said was rebuilt and out of an 81-83 but the person that rebuilt it couldn't get the front housing to bolt back on right they informed her that if you lightly drop it on the tailshaft that it will all line up right and the front housin will line up and bolt on I would like a little insight before I go dropping this thing.

Do not drop anything.  Worst case, use a dead blow or rubber mallet to lightly tap things in to place.

What does this mean "bolt back on right"?  There might be a clue there.  What shape is it in now?  The case is almost on or it's disassembled?  What do you see?  

More clues - who is "they"?  Who is "her"?

Describing the situation is 90% of the battle.

Sorry just a little excited I don't have the trans in my possession yet. I go to pick it up from the lady I'm buying it and some other parts on Sunday. she had it in a 280z autocross car the gentleman that rebuilt it for her didn't do his job is the gist of it. Now she is selling the race engine trans and suspension to me and she told me about the trans yesterday so what iv told you is all I know right now.