HybridZ

Early 280z efi on 77 280z

Hello,

I have a 1977 280z with su carbs on it currently which don't run too well. I can pick up a complete efi system off a 75/76 280z with n42 intake for only $50. The block on the car has a hole in it so the efi is going for cheap. I am wondering if the harness can be easily adapted into the 77. I know the fuel pump relays are different but I already have an aftermarket fuel pump relay that triggers the pump for the carbs. I already know I have to put in a normal 280z efi pump with higher pressure. Thanks

Edited by nismoSHAWNz

You never really asked a question, but the EFI system should work fine on your engine.  It should bolt and plug right in.  Make sure you get the EFI/pump relay from under the dash, or make sure that your 77 EFI relay is still there.

The EFI harness is essentially a stand alone harness with just a few connections to the main harness.

Compare the wiring diagrams in the Engine Fuel chapters of each year FSM.  If you don't feel comfortable figuring out where the power's coming from you might want to rethink it.

But it looks like they didn't change the relays until 1978.  Your information in Post #1 about the relays doesn't seem to be right.  So 1975-76 should be a match for your car.  You might even end up with spare parts.

Get other parts like the ignition module and distributor if they seem in good shape.  Thermostat housing, water pump, etc.  All worth a look.

post-8864-0-44802200-1447212463_thumb.png

post-8864-0-72204700-1447212477_thumb.png

Helpful tip: Check all the fuses before during and after the install.

When you do the wiring for the efi and ignition relays, go over the diagrams 10 times before you install it in the car. Then go over the diagrams 10 times after you have it set up in the car. Make sure the fuses are good and connections are soldered well.

I swapped an 83 efi engine and efi wiring into my 260 and still missed a ground for one relay. Car wouldn't start, No ignition, No ecu power, injectors wouldnt spray fuel. I could run the engine on starting fluid though. I didn't figure it out for 2 weeks. Was going over the wiring with a factory diagram and found the missing ground wire. Added it and engine started right up.