HybridZ

351w cam shaft

Herman

I'm putting in the 351w into my junkyard 240 I picked up from someone as a parts car. The experience is new to me and I'm reading up on the forums to help me with it. That being said, I'm replacing all the gaskets on the engine bc it's the smartest thing to do for CHEAP.

I'm looking to put a better cam in there while I replace gaskets, WITHOUT having to take the running engine to the machine shop to get bored over. If anyone has a better then stock cam that they are looking to get rid of, please let me know. I know I can buy them new or on eBay for cheap but I prefer to Ash car guys for good used parts to help them get cash for their builds. Please let me know

Does your block use a roller lifter cam?Most of the 5.0 mustang blocks used rolller lifters with a sheet metal plate that kept them inline.There will be a row of 3 or 4 small bolt holes in the exact center of the lifter valley if it is a roller block.My 1996 e150 van with 351 is a roller block.You can use 5.0 mustang cams-easy to get.The reason fords where historically down on power vs chevy is the cylinder head ports suck.The aftermarket has solved that .There were some 5.0 explorers with better than average head flow for a ford.Disassemble the engine and take the major parts to have them hot tanked and measured for wear.A good machinist will tell you what will make the grade and what wont.I have been doing alot of business with Rock Auto and except for the wait find the prices very cheap along with a good selection of brand names.I just rebuilt an engine for a customer and ended up having my machinist hot tank parts.He ground the valve seats and valves and installed the valve stem seals from my gasket set+ minor cut 008"on the gasket surface.The block only needed a deglaze honing and I assembled it with stock sized rings and bearings. A nice engine for under $1K.