HybridZ

wheel balance questions

Strange that they went bad with only about 7000 miles, but they were not OEM. So there is that.

As a 16 year old, I used to get miffed when a shop wouldn't allow me to buy parts and have them install them.  With lots more years behind me and the wisdom of traversing through them, I realize that only when it is possible to determine they are "white boxed" original suppliers to OEM, or high quality from proven track record, do I use them. Wrong metallurgy and or specs and aftermarket ball joints can wear out in 7000 miles for sure.

Just closing out my problem.  I Road Force balanced my wheels and re-checked my hubs.  My hubs were a little loose and the wheels benefited from the Road Force balancing.  The steering wheel has a slight vibration/shimmy now, nothing like it was before.  I would say that most of my shimmy was due to my hubs, but after driving the car having fixed that but before the Road Force balancing, the RF balancing took care of the rest (subjective 70/30 split).

• 2 weeks later...

My tires checked out ok. I went to a local shop and spoke with the owner who races a few different cars on a weekly basis. While the wheels were being checked I decided to remove the entire front suspension components off my Z and have a good look at them. What I found was 1 bad ball joint and a bad inner tie rod....nothing lasts for ever....

So now I have to find a shop that will let me use some machining equipment so I can make some new steering rack parts........then find/purchase some heim joints...

Then the Z will have a completely new front suspension and steering setup.....again...

My tires checked out ok. I went to a local shop and spoke with the owner who races a few different cars on a weekly basis. While the wheels were being checked I decided to remove the entire front suspension components off my Z and have a good look at them. What I found was 1 bad ball joint and a bad inner tie rod....nothing lasts for ever....

So now I have to find a shop that will let me use some machining equipment so I can make some new steering rack parts........then find/purchase some heim joints...

Then the Z will have a completely new front suspension and steering setup.....again...

Were both of those aftermarket?

No, inline6. The ball joints are/were Moog same with the outer tie rods.

The inner tie rods are original 1976 oem.

From my research, them inner tie rods are NLA. Not a big deal other than I need access to a lathe and milling machine so I can make some new parts. I have my designs ready, I just need some equiptment to git r done!! The only thing I need to find is the outer tie rod taper bolt for the new heim joint setup I have in mind.....Google is my friend :-)