HybridZ

modern motorsports cv axle coversion kit

Rob L

Ok so i picked up an r200 longnose and its time now to think of upgrading the whole rear end.  I was originally going to use wolfcreek racing cv conversion or driveshaft shop ...but it does not change every single piece out of the rear .

I then stumbled across this Full conversion from modern motorsports.

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/datsun-240z-280z-complete-cv-axle-conversion.html

Looks good but pricey at 3200 usd

So my question is ...has anybody done that full conversion from MM.. im sure its stout.

Also maybe it would be cheaper to source all the parts individually from a mix match of companies ....i just want every piece changed out of the rear .

i noticed with the wolfcreek conversion you bolt the aluminum adapter to the stock stub coming out of the diff....i know theres stronger after market outer stubs  availible ...but are there any inner aftermarket stubs availible for the r200 ?

Edited by theatriks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel if you could just get the stubs on the wheel side you can piece it together for less. I saw they use porsche CV's which is what the DSS and wolfcreek both use. But if you're running enough power to be braking the stubs on the wheel side, why wouldn't you just go with a solid rear? 

My plan is to use a subaru r180, wolfcreek adapters, wolfcreek axles, and stock stubs. Don't plan on ever having more than 300whp. 

Can't remember if you're one of the numerous guys with V8's looking to "upgrade" parts, or of you still have an L6.  Or if it's a 240, 260 or 280Z.  But there's a fairly simple method to get 280ZX CV shafts in the back of a 240Z.  If that's what you have.

You should probably list "every single piece" also.  There's a lot of pieces back there.

Kind of depends on what you need it for.

Replace every part is indeed quite vague, if you *need* this upgrade then you should also look at a new mustache bar, front diff mount, diff hanger, lower control arm mounts, etc. Other parts in the rear include control arms, shocks, coilovers etc.

Also depends on how easy it is to acquire parts, the TTT kit I think is 2800 or so and if you can find the parts out of the donor car for less then 400 you would be ahead. That kit also supplies you with the new mustache bar, coilovers, and other bits, which the modern kit does not.

If you just acquired an R200, then the assumption would be you have a 240 or 260z.

The 27 splines from the 280z are quite a bit larger diameter then the 25 splines from the 240z or the 26 spline from the 260z, so depending on the need for the upgrade that could be an option. You can also buy a stronger 27 spline or step up to the 39 spline or what not units and convert to z31 turbo with the shortened shafts, that would replace all the driveline parts and still be under 2kish. Converting to 280zx turbo cv's with the 280z 27 spline is by far the cheapest option running about 500$, although the strength of the axle is probably questionable.

WHP also supplies an adapter to convert to porsche CV's which would make your weakest point the input stub in the differential. If you are putting out enough hp and torque then it might be advisable to convert to something that can take it like solid axle as suggested.

Yes I was vague ...I do already have TTT coilovers installed and have there rear lower control arms as well ...I plan on adding the moustache bar and drop mounts mounts and front diff mount and hanger and dogbone .

I would like to replace every other part left ... from the inner stub in the diff all the way to the lug nut studs and every part inbetween .

The Chequered Flag Joe kit  is probably the way to go then, if you can confirm that he checked everything for binding.  That's the problem people run in to.  Or pulling the axles out of the diff because the CV's are too short.  That's the other problem.

Also it's not clear that the new axles are stronger than the factory axles.  You haven't said though, that you're looking for stronger, so who knows.

Here's his other web page - http://www.chequeredflagracing.net/Datsun.html  Call him up.

Will isn't making any more of his 8.8 kits I thought.

If you're plan is to replace the mustache bar, mounts, and such.... Why not just go with the TTT kit? Sell the R200 and coil overs and you can throw in a whole rear sub from a Skyline for half of what the MM kit gets you. Bigger brakes, CV's, and a helical or clutch LSD...

Find somebody on hybridz who is doing with their car, what you would like to do with yours.  Send them a PM.  Opening these kinds of questions to the entire forum will yield you a lot of speculative answers.  Find a friend and trusted mentor and you will get where you want to go a lot faster.  Budget AT LEAST $2000-3000 for a total rearend upgrade.  Until you are ready to spend that kind of money, stick with what you have.

Im ready to spend lol... and thats why i titled this thread with modern motorsports....im leaning towards that conversion ...i have done tons of searching and cant find anybody using TTT stuff with this cv conversion. Maybe im the first...

Ok great. The MM kit looks good and strong. They look to have chrome moly diff stubs, which is the weak link on all other R200 axle systems. Assuming all the metallurgy is good, their system should be the strongest available. Buy it and let us know how is goes, I think you will be the first, but somebody has to go first. If you add up all the parts, their pricing is fair. The trouble I have with the 930 CV is difficult serviceability. You will get greasy assembling and disassembling them. And you will have lots of hardware to contend with. My love for Z31 axles is that they contain their grease during assembly and there are only 4 bolts to fool with. The required length of the axles varies with ride height and camber. So try to get those settings figured out and don't change them a lot. I have to swap one of my axles when I change from drag race set up to track day/auto cross set up due to camber adjustment. Be a trailblazer!

Well im glad you gave me that piece of information where axle length varies as i raise or lower the car ...it makes sense now that i think about it, but i will definitely get as many questions in to make sure im not stuck with something that is unusable for my specific use.

It would be useful to know the range of length for both the 930 style CV axles and the Z31's.  RZ has to change axles because the range is limited with the Z31 axle.

If you had the actual low end and high end for both that would be even more useful.  Flange to flange, compressed and extended.  Guys like Joe should put those numbers on their web pages.

It would help to know also how he made the diff axles.  Looks like he probably got a 930 flange axle blank and machined the splined end.  There are different spline shapes out there, some loose, some tight.  Could affect strength and the way they drive.  The older R200 shaft splines are pretty loose and that's part of what makes them clunky.  Nissan tightened things up in the later VLSD diffs.

Looks interesting, I hope he got the details right.

Not trying to be negative, that's just the stuff that I look at.  Good luck.

I don't know how you determine the hp capacity of these things. It depends on usage and shocking. Do you have your suspension sorted? If not, here's a couple pointers. You really don't need camber plates in the rear. If you lower the car an inch or two, the rear gains a nice little bit of camber, 1.5-2 degrees negative, that's pretty good for track days and auto crossing if you pair that with 2-2.5 degrees negative up front via front camber plates. So, you can pretty well put it there and leave it. Honestly, I change mine too damn much! Maybe just get MM to agree to make you a different set of axles if there's a problem. They need somebody to give testimonials in order to sell product and from all reports their service is great. The Z31axles change length by sliding within the CV; the 930 axles change length by sliding on the axle splines. You really can't compare them; they are apples and oranges. I'm certain the 930 system is stronger-just more of a pain if you have to service them. But most guys don't mess with their axles as much as I do. I change diffs about every year, just always messing with it.

If you mean the shafts, the shortened shafts are from JMortensen's group buy way back in the stone ages. I don't know for sure, but I think Chequered flag sells a set for $320. Have you tried installing yours as they are? PM me if you want or text me at 256-366-4685 and we can talk about how I mix and match shafts.

Edited by RebekahsZ