HybridZ

modern motorsports cv axle coversion kit

Rob L

Joe, the r180 axles you make should work with betamotorsports subaru stub axles right? Currently have a subie r180 with the adapter stubs and stock 240z axles with a lot of slop and squeal. I was considering the Wolf creek kit due to cost, but after seeing those photo's I'm thinking of going with either you or DSS. Can you PM me the cost and lead time of them as well?

Edited by BluDestiny

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to add my 2 cents to this thread in relation to the wolf creek racing "porsche style" cv axle kit. I installed these on my car and have done approximately 2000 miles since. I had always been aware/annoyed of the amount of "slop" or play in the rear end since installing these axles and the play seemed to get progressively worse with added mileage. I run new quaife 4.11 differential with chequered flag racing chromoly stubs. Diff is supported by a ron taylor diff mount on top and stock mount on bottom (no movement). Driveshaft is custom with new upgraded u -joints. This car is not drag raced and I do not do hard launches for the record.

Fast forward to last week. The rear end was getting very annoying...letting off gas/ starting off would result in more play/slop in the rear end and there was a bit more noise from the rear end. I decided to pull the rear end and have things checked out. The diff and diff bearings are perfect...the driveshaft and joints are perfect...the diff mounts are solid. So I pulled apart the CV axles and found that the "Porsche style" CV cages were chewed up and worn/pitted badly. Took the assembly to a local CV shop that does custom work for various high performance cars. The tech advised that the CV axles had damage to the CV's in particular the cages which in his opinion were not high quality. (Wolf creek racing states on their site that they use chromoly cages with hardened races???).

I thought this would be of interest to those considering this setup. I would not recommend the wolf creek racing axle kit, especially you V8 high torque guys...

Here are a few photos of one of the disassembled CV's with photos of the damage and a diagram of a CV and related bits.

I also have the Wolf Creek Kit and have come across the same issue - large amounts of play in the joint from the cheap "porsche style" CV's. And again no racing or hard launches just a R200 w 1.5way locker and 250hp...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well not only is the discount gone they have increased there price on all the parts they make. Some items have gone up over $100 per part. The sad part is

the price went up without even a phone call to let me know after 5+ years of doing business with them. I'm trying to fill the orders I have at the old price.

Thanks Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to throw a shout out to Joe for continuing this service to the community.  I have been in touch with him over the last 3 months and he is doing everything he can and making the best effort for us.  The manufacturer has been a bear and I can't thank him enough for keeping this service going.

Thanks Joe!