HybridZ

1974 datsun 260z restomod

Rob L

Hey guys I have been on the forum for a couple years now ...i have done a lot of modifications to my late year 260z , and i still have a lot more to go.

I have amassed a large amount of pics through the different modifications I have done and thought i would start a build thread.

So in September 2013 I decided to go take a look at a 1974 datsun 260z that was for sale about an hour and a half from my home in Ottawa in Napanee. It was for sale by a used car dealer ...which was already a bit sketch to me , but at the time there was only 3 datsuns for sale in a 4 hour drive radius from my home. I did go see a 73 datsun in Toronto but it was shot ...i was having a hard time just getting my magnet to stay on any fenders lol.

So after a test drive ...some bargaining ...i ended buying the 74 260z off the dealer.

This car ran great and was super clean ...zero rust issue anywhere.

After doing some research with the vin i found out this was a California car up until 2011. A man from Pickering Ontario went to California and bought this car in an auction for 5000usd and drove it all the way back to Canada.Then traded it to the guy i bought it off of for a ford f100 i think.

Anyways here she is at the time that i bought her

I did more research and found the guy who owned it last in California...he was the guy who had it in the auction. He told me he bought it off a former nascar crew cheif ....but i didnt beleive too much of that ....and didnt ask anymore questions lol

This is what it looked like under the hood the day i got her

So after this shot it was almost october and had no time to start working on her. I put her to bed and starting ordering parts to put on her in spring 2014.

post-41216-0-68154900-1501630763_thumb.jpg

post-41216-0-38247200-1501630833_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob L

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok now these are the parts i collected over that winter 2013/2014

I wanted to get started on the suspension, brakes, wheels and tires first.

So i callled techno toy tuning up and bought his ready to bolt in coilovers, LCAs front and rear, RCAs, and tension control.

I then bought some outer tie rods from zccjdm, and some bolt in camber plates from DP racing.

Then i called Dave at arizona Z car and bought his wilwood brake kit .....i went with 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears.

After that callled CCW and ordered some classics.

So now that i had all these parts it was a patient wait for spring 2014 to come around.

post-41216-0-88955500-1501630994_thumb.jpg

post-41216-0-91519600-1501631017_thumb.jpg

post-41216-0-91029300-1501631186_thumb.jpg

post-41216-0-78434500-1501631216_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob L

After all that suspension work it was time to throw the new rims on but before i did i had to make some room for the new rubber

so out came the handy fender roller

the fronts rolled like butter ...the rears took some manipulating and some heat lol ...but not long after and i got everything on there and was ready to start cruising .

This is how she looked after all that work

post-41216-0-59894600-1501631676_thumb.jpg

post-41216-0-47984200-1501631731_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob L

Soooo after having a blast with this car all summer 2014 ...with the one exception of being stranded on the side of the highway after a broken throttle cable ...such an easy fix if you have a auto part store near by ....but it was in the boonies ...so needed CAA that day.

The car handled great ...unbelievable actually just went where ever i pointed her.

Now winter 2014 was approaching so it was time to put her back to bed and start collecting more parts to add to her in spring 2015.

Edited by theatriks

Over the winter of 14/15 i decided that it was time to put some thought into the interior and i kinda got side tracked and ordered a bunch of motor parts as i eventually would like to add an L28et to her and i started by buying a beautiful head from a member heer who bought it off another member here who got this head done at the masters shop himself Paul "BRAAP" Ruschman from rusch motorsports ...not sure if hes still around i was able to chat with him a bit on another bmw forum.

So heres the beauty

image_zps5kdyokty.jpeg

image_zpsf46iyogx.jpeg

but still a longtime to go before that gets installed...

So on to the interior...

I ordered some bride vios 3 buckets with bride rails that fit right in and i also went with an autopower rollbar and some sabelt harnesses....this car will be mostly street driven so i have left the original seat belts in ...but have the harnesses for the odd day i take it to the track....and there easily removable so it worked out.

So interior parts came in .....while i was waiting for those parts to come in ...i also bought an intake off the same member that sold me the head ...the intake is a "sensa pari" intake and i got lucky because i bought it off someone who already had one so didnt have to go through all the BS other poor members are going through.

Anywho i keep reverting back to the motor but let me show you the progress thats actually happening on the car....

Spring 2015 had arrived and it was time to installed the interior bits....

Heres the seats installed ....i also went ahead and added a Nardi wheel ...with a works bells quick release ...and some diamond plate floor plates.

image_zpsze8unnoo.jpg

Im really happy with these seats ...with the suspension upgrade and these seats holding me in place i feel like nobody can touch me in the corners now lol the seats holding you in perfectly almost make it feel like the car can take the turn at even a faster speed lol ...

So 2015 was a fun summer for this car but there were a few problems ....the fusible links caused me a bit of headache but now i know to check them when you have an electrical problem ...im betting 50% of electrical issues on this car stem from those links burning out...but better then having a fire.

Cleaned up the engine bay a bit if you remeber the photo of when i first got the car and to this its a huge improvement aesthetically

image_zps1akedvyj.jpeg

and some more pics of the seats and roll bar

image_zpsbl7ixzk9.jpeg

not keeping the dvd just was trying it out but rather fill that spot with gauges.

Ok so winter 15/16 is coming so i already ordered some parts because in spring 2016 i want to completly replace all the rear end drivetrain components and i started buy ordering a r200 longnose differetial

image_zpsg8gcxryc.jpeg

So thats the diff i am going to install for this summer ...eventually im gonna put in a os giken super loc but first gonna get this serviced and try her out.

I also got a 5spd(fs5w71b) from and 81-83 280zx and thats a very clean f54 block ...yes in my living room lol and yes i live with my girlfriend and yes she doesnt mind (shes a keeper)

Now its present day .....and im thinking of ordering this

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/datsun-240z-280z-complete-cv-axle-conversion.html

over this winter im going to be ordering more parts probably from TTT .....a moustache bar drop mounts and dogbone...maybe get a nice lighter driveshaft and we will see what else ..... i will keep updating  this thread as i progress from now on ...

Thanks guys ...I appreciate it.

I plan on buying more parts this winter ...I just can't show any progress photos as the car is wrapped up hibernating till spring .

But I will still be getting work done on the parts that I have with me that will be going in come spring .

Just got this in the mail the other day ...should finish off the diff nicely .

image_zpsqkeb01ib.jpeg

So with my plans for the rear end finalized ...i wanted to make some changes on my front end .....here is what it looks like now..

datsun_zps00e75377.jpg

....and this is the kit im ordering ...its a star road grill , star road front bumper, and bumper deletes......its not cheap!,  but IMO its the nicest bumper/grill combo for our cars out there...

image_zpscpcukpld.png

will post pics once it arrives...

Thanks a lot !!! there genuine brides ...and comfy as hell !...Alot of people complain about buckets in there cars ...but these seats are so comfy an hour drive and my 5 9" 180 and i was not uncomfortable at all.

Yes i have harnesses ...6 pt Sabelts

image_zpso5raqz8c.jpg

only in car pic its a bit shady sorry for that

image_zpshqv1z640.jpeg

Nevermind! lol found a bit of a better pic

image_zpsghgkgzd8.jpeg

Edited by theatriks

This weekend was a boring one ...so i decided to clean the case of the 5spd im gonna install come spring

Before:

image_zpsewi7sgv2.jpeg

And after a couple of hours ...its not finished yet ..but its coming along. Once its done im just going to leave it raw ...rather then paint it just so it can get dirty again.

image_zpsjeo4chrz.jpeg