HybridZ

cable operated heater control valve thermostat attached?

ORANGEV8Z

I've got an 82 280zx with a/c.  Heater control valve is leaking.  I was wanting to take it out to see if it could be repaired with a new o ring or if I'll have to replace it.  It appears I can get it out without removing the dash except for one problem.  It appears there is a copper thermostat tube running from the valve to the front of the heater core.  I don't understand why on a manually operated control valve what this does?  

If it's like the 280Z's then it controls coolant flow based on heater core temperature.  Like a thermostat, except it only covers a range of temperatures around the manual setpoint.  Keeps things from getting too hot when coolant flow is high, and too low when coolant flow is low, like at idle.  Can't find it described in the ZX FSM but I think I've seen in the Z FSM's.

They're liquid-filled tubes and usually blown out by now.  If you find yourself turning the heat down as you get on the highway at higher RPM it's probably not working.  You'll have to take more parts off to find where it's clipped on to the heater core.  

Here's a source for valves (aka watercocks).

http://www.datsunstore.com/heater-control-valve-7983-with-manual-heat-rebuilt-p-276.html