HybridZ

Thank God for the LS

That's what I wish I had!!

The money I've spent on my forged rb26, and all the ad on goodies, is honestly depressing knowing now what I could have bought LS wise for the money.

I would love to have a low mile, newer LS, with stockish factory ecu, that I could hop in and turn the key and it start up and run just like a new car does.

Now if I could just get my LS 436 to run with the new Fast 102intake, NW DBW 102 throttle body and LS7 maf I'd be tickled pink....lol   The LS platform is great but damn tuning mods is a pain in the butt...lol

I used to run a carb'd 385 sbc 700r4 combo in mine and made nowhere near the power of the LS plus carb's are a pain in the butt with weather changes.  The 6 liter you run is a great platform, kind of wished I had stayed with it.

Keith, I've got a stock JY LS2 also, and couldn't agree more. What's not to like about a junkyard engine that's compact, light, and puts out MORE than it's advertised HP rating (found that out at a dyno tuning this summer).

I'm much more impressed with the prodigious torque! Torque in any gear, any RPM, crazy torque everywhere! Had mine out recently on a cool day, romped on it a bit in third gear, at about 45 MPH, and spun the tires! Now that's TORQUE!

This is a whole new experience for me. I'm a lifelong small block chevy guy, and only got a whiff of torque back then. This new engine technology is pretty amazing to me.... keeps me smiling!

Steve

I am planning a turbo motor sometime in the next 5 years. And the testimonials on this site really support turbo-ing a stock motor over a built motor. Once I'm fully in the new shop, I will be putting my local salvage guy on the task of finding me a low miles LQ9 to boost. The money I save on pistons and rods will go into having my spare T56 face-plated.

Keith,

What testimonials are you referring to? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but putting boost to a stock bottom end will drastically shorten the life of the engine. I have seen it time and time again, people think they can just throw turbos on a low mileage motor and a few months later if that they are tearing the bottom end apart. Another thing is running turbos is not a easy as it sounds there is a huge learning curve to do it right especially on an S30 where a engineered turbo kit does not exist. A lot of tuning and tinkering with it also involved and not having the experience to do so could mean a blown motor.

I'm sure car manufacturers do not spend the extra money to use forged internals on boosted engines for nothing, just take a close look at the ZR1 and Mustang Cobra.

Bottom line there is no such thing a cheap horsepower, for major horsepower gains there is usually a major expense associated with it. Like they say spend $1 to do it right the first time of spend $10 to redo it once you have broken all kinds of components.

This would be a single event engine that after the dyno tuning would need to survive for about 6 total minutes in about (12) 30 second intervals under boost. I think for that application, I'd be ok (or I wouldn't). I'm much more willing to bet $1500 on a stock LS a few times before betting probably 4 times that much. Might even start with a 5.3 or a 4.8 to make developing the kit even cheaper and to allow me to drop into a smaller engine class. Goal is 800 hp. Event would be standing mile with a gentle low first gear launch, then rpm band would be 5000-7000 rpm thru 4 gear changes. I think I could go with either a pretty big single turbo or even twins. Way too early to get terribly serious. I have lots of chassis stuff to sort out. Ive recently gone from being the only car running in my chassis class to having 2 additional competitors. One has unlimited funds, the other is building around a big cubic inch motor. I've got to get a 200 mph pass before they get their cars together because I'm pretty sure both those teams have greater ultimate potential than I do. Fortunately, they are still in the chassis building stages. It's rare that a car goes 200mph on the first outing-there are tech (safety) issues, tune issues, chassis issues, and chute issues. Basically, everything has to be perfect. I've been running on dumb luck, and I know it. I'm hoping to get the car going straight and stopping straight under silk this year. Then next year is to pass tech to 200 mph paragraphs, then the next couple years are for power. I have time to ponder my options. Really glad I went with the LS platform.

Or, you might be adding un-needed complexity based on a few reports. Im sure it depends on the intensity of the racing, but several of us have had good success at the hobby level by just popping the engine in and running it as it came. I guess if you like talking about racing and working on a car as much as you do driving it.... With my limited experience, I would recommend a low mileage salvage yard engine for cheap and run it till it dies, then replace it with another salvage motor. Would do that several times before getting bogged down in an oily mess. Let us know how it works out