HybridZ

A big THANK YOU to the Moderators

RebekahsZ

• 1 month later...

I too am grateful for this site.  But even so, things could be better.  Over the years, HybridZ has become more of an information-repository than an active discussion forum.  The pace of postings as slowed markedly, and the old camaraderie has been replaced by what I can only describe as antiseptic austerity.  I remain grateful for the FAQs, the inspiring examples of others' builds, the many fine suggestions peppering so many threads. But it's like sauntering through the stacks of a university library, rather than sitting down at a dining-table, joining the gathering.  I miss the social-aspect, the bygone times of easy banter and suggestions and counter-suggestions flashing on the screen with frenetic rapidity.

This site is almost 16 years old.  Surely by now we have members who weren't yet born when this site began!  Can the mods verify this?

As of this writing, the year 2016 will begin in only a few hours (in my time-zone).  Hybridz began almost exactly with the advent of the 21st century.  What a tumultuous century it's been!  And ~16 years from now, how many of us will still be tinkering with our Z's?

• Administrators

I too am grateful for this site.  But even so, things could be better.  Over the years, HybridZ has become more of an information-repository than an active discussion forum.

Things can always be better. But the forum can’t be all things to all people. This forum was always intended to be a technical library, not a social event. Anything social was a byproduct. Yes, it has changed over the years. One of the biggest changes is that the moderators have stepped back considerably for the last few years and allowed the members to largely steer the ship. I can’t say it’s any better or worse for that, but it is more ‘yours’ now.

Michael, I couldn't agree more. I like this place, and I am thankful for it's existence, but it has really slowed to a crawl, largely due to social media, I think.

This forum was always intended to be a technical library, not a social event.

IMO, this is flawed thinking. People are social beings by nature and will generally gravitate to social atmospheres. If there is nothing here to satisfy that social need, people will gradually stop coming here, as they already have, and once everyone has left, you will no longer have a forum. Yes, it is important to keep the tech sections strictly technical, but I think this place needs an off topic section to keep this place alive. Every single other forum I'm on has an active OT section, and it is that section more than any other that allows members to create a sense of community that will draw people in, and keep them coming back.

Thanks to the mods for all the work they do!

Regarding the discussion of the forum, I think it is the unfortunate change of the times. Specific forums seem to be on the decline (across the world according to some aussie and new zealand friends, and across the board based off new posts on other forums of many different hobbies). I am not sure there is much that can be done. Forums are not as visited as frequently across the board. People can find what they want spoon fed to them  step by step via videos on youtube, and if they have questions they can pepper the original writer at anytime via instant messages on snap chat/instagram, or poll from a massive user base or a very specific one via reddit. And as the traffic is hidden from others (pm's not visible on instagram/snapchat/facebook) global traffic just diminishes.

I take great joy in that whenever I have any ideas or need some technical specs, even the broadest search engines bring me back here, and even those that have parted ways from what this forum is begrudgingly, but readily forward users with technical aspects to query this forum. It is nice that this forum. I'm not sure how we can generate a more social atmosphere to a fairly outdated social environment.

I believe we are indeed having this discussion in such a place no? The non-tech section has always been a place to post things of interest and unrelated topics, at least to my mind. I have seen some off topic sections really go haywire and found that certain forums unbeknownst to some members had very radical views on very controversial topics, while I agree it might be nice to kick the shoes off and chat, I'm not sure if I would be happy if I had to wade through filth to kick them off. It would be an interesting topic of discussion I imagine, I would be curious as to suggested solutions, I fear there really isn't an answer.

Some years ago, there was a "general topics" subforum, for political discussions, jokes, personal anecdotes and the like.  It was closed and removed, in attempt to diffuse controversy that detracted from our main theme, which was V8 Datsuns (now more broadly high-performance Datsuns).  While I miss those non-technical discussions, that's not my main regret about the direction of this forum.  Instead, I think that exhortation to "use the search function" has been taken too far.  I find considerable value in regurgitating (if necessary) tired old topics, and repeating questions that have already been answered a dozen times.  Why?  Because the freshness of newly asking the very same thing, is a freshness of style and personal appeal, even if the actual content is stale. 

It's also worth mentioning that over the years, links disappear, products disappear, methods become obsolete.  Imagine that you're building a first-generation small block Chevy, and are worried about wiping the lobes on a flat-tappet cam.  This question has, I'm sure, been asked over a dozen times.  Should a new reader just use the search-function?  Maybe not.  Cam profiles have changed since 2000.  Valve-spring technology has advanced.  So have motor-oils and oil supplements for engine break-in.  We're so tremulous over asking a "newbie" question, that good and timely discussions are unable to take root.

But the point about social-media is important.  Not being a facebook user or a user of smart-phones, I fail to behold how internet usage overall has changed.  How many people actually sit down in front of a desktop computer, in the comfort of their office or den, to get online?  Realizing this, it stands to reason how forums in general would see decline of activity.

No good deed goes un-punished. Guys, at least on this thread: if you don't have anything good to say, please keep it to yourself. Faithful Moderators, feel free to delete this thread before it changes completely from sunny skies to stormy weather. It has already become partly cloudy. It was good while it lasted.

• Like 1