HybridZ

POWER STEERING

Sounds like the adjustable assist saves the deal.

One that springs to mind is the Honda Jazz, very light steering, zero feel or feedback, its like you are steering the car using a play station control, you just turn and see how much the car moves, can't stand it.

I actually like how the Z feels with no assistance but for fast paced track work especially catching unexpected oversteer it may be useful to have some assistance and for sure its hard to park with wide semi slicks on the front and slightly quicker (therefore stiffer) rack.

Subaru power steering is a great setup from hearing the experiences of others. Only reason I wouldn't go for it in mine is it means more clutter in the engine bay, not good for the clean minimalist look I'm going for.

I took this quick cell phone pic today to document the Performance Pedals but noticed that you can actually see the motor to the ZPower Steering unit protruding slightly below the edge of the dash board (silver bulk). It does not impede your feet from acting on the pedals but illustrates the limited space available for this install (at least in my 1978 280Z). I will be painting the unit black to make it less conspicuous.

attachicon.gif20151215_174134.png

Sorry - I've been meaning to respond to this for a while and kept forgetting.   If you clock the motor 180 degrees from the way you have it, the motor will sit higher and be out of sight.  It's kind of a tight fit, but it can be done, even with the factory AC:

20160101_191922.jpg

Also on the 78 Z at least there was a speed switch built into the speedo that was used for emissions purposes with the manual transmission models.  It changes states at around 10 or 15 mph.  I used this switch to power a relay that switches in different resistance values for the assist level adjustment - I get higher levels of assist at low speeds and lower assist levels once I'm rolling.  The controller that they use seems to filter the transition, so the change in assist level isn't obvious.

I _really_ like this setup - it's one of the best mods I've done to this car!  As someone else already mentioned it does take more than just a couple of hours to install, but you can still do it easily in a weekend, and it's WAY easier than trying to figure out how to mount a PS pump, get a belt to it, retrofit a rack and plumb the hydraulics!

Edited by TimZ

Interesting TimZ. Let me take a look at my set up again and look for the reason why I didn't locate the motor on the other side of the steering column but I do remember that the placement I decided upon was based on the easiest fit. I'll let you know. Thanks for the idea.

At first it doesn't look like it will fit the way I mentioned, but it will!

Edited by TimZ

TimZ, I looked at my set up yesterday as I was looking for a space to mount two 5 1/4 speakers under the dash. I suppose you are correct and the unit could be rotated 180 degrees and placed to the right of the steering column but I couldn't wedge it much higher than on the left side so I left it where I had it (left of the steering column). Once painted flat black it's virtually unseen and I'm in the process of fabricating ABS panels to mount a speaker in the space to the right of the steering column (see 280Z Restomod Progress).

Here's a pic of the final look of the ZPowersteering unit install with the motor to the left of the steering shaft, painted flat black and I still had enough space to mount a speaker panel to the right of the steering column. I will also add that I'm getting more accustomed to the feel.

post-49397-0-63759600-1452469453_thumb.jpg

post-49397-0-36805200-1452469485_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I just installed the Zpowersteering.com system and raced it at AutoClub Speedway this past weekend.

I only used about 1/2 of the force adjustment and it was fantastic.  Felt like a Z, but easy to steer.  Absolutely zero issues with feel or feedback, except that it was all just better.

I'm running 275 Hoosier R7 tires.

Cant say enough good things about it.

Tj

• Like 1

Threw an LS3 in and had to modify my steering shaft to get around the long tubes. Could've made it work with the electric  motor if I had investigated moving it closer towards the front of the car, but a Subaru rack was easy enough to work in as well as not having to mod the serpentine system to remove the power steering pump.

Edited by wayverippah

I believe the one that we are currently asking about is the Saturn Vue steering column assist. 

I am curious to see anyone who has pictures of this setup. It seems that if it was mounted in the engine bay instead of under the dash you wouldn't need to modify your steering column shaft. Some adapters would be needed in the engine bay though to make the unit fit. 

Edited by 78-280Z

Yes, the Vue one is of interest. 1500 is a lot to spend.

The engine bay would be out for an L-series I think. The shaft runs pretty close to the collector. You could try to pull the shaft more towards the rail and then try and make a sharper turn towards the steering rack like I think Myron did with his VQ swap, but then you would have to cut quite a bit of the frame rail to accommodate the motor. 

It would work pretty nicely with a RHD setup I imagine.

Edited by seattlejester