HybridZ

OK so I just got done putting my 4 barrel conversion all onto my car piece by piece, nothing crazy just a Holley 390 cfm carb on a arizona-z-car intake manifold. I used a self regulating K&N fuel pump to the carb. all the wiring is done and everything is in order but my car still wont start. If I spray carb cleaner into my carb my car will fire right up then die out shortly after (2-3 seconds). What could it be? I am getting fuel for sure at least all the way up to the carb that is. The carb was a used one off someone else`s RUNNING 280z but he did say it sat for awhile before I had bought it. With the way it acts if I spray carb cleaner in it I would think its a fuel problem but being relatively new to carbs I don't want to mess it up trying to tune something I know nothing about. If anyone could help me out that would be great because im 9 months into this project and its finally time to drive it and I cant wait! I appreciate any help at all, Thanks! -Gabe

I checked both of the fuel level sight plug hole things and one was a little high and I managed to lower it to the correct amount but the other one (the one closest to the fuel port) had no visible fuel in it and I tried to raise it but that didn't seem to work. So I guess there is a clog or something in the carb?

I FOUND THE ISSUE!!!! :D the needle and seat for the primary was stuck shut! I broke it loose and broke it in general but I put it back together and it fired right up, but also shot some fuel out the top because it is broken. So I just need a new needle and seat. Thanks Miles and NewZed for the help and the links to help me find what was causing the issue!

Holley has a accelerator pump diaphragm on the bottom of the float bowl. I find these get hard if not used.

When you start using them after a long time out of service they crack and leak the fuel in the bowl down on your exaust.

Edited by Miles