HybridZ

Well I think I've made a decision on FI...

Mikelly

Well I guess I have chosen a path to go down. I think I'm gonna swap over to FI over the winter while my many other mods are under way. I was toying seriously with going stock TPI and modifying the Chip, injector and TB, but what I found is that the cost will be somewhere in the $2000 range by the time all the right parts are there, and then you are locked into the parameters of that chip...

I'm strongly leaning towards the ACCELL DFI Pro Ram system in JEGS for $2200... Or the New Holley MP1 setup for $2500!

What do you guys think?

MIke

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Motec can have an o2 sensor for each cyclinder and let you tweak each cyclinder's mixture to even everything out..... It can run 2 injectors per cyclinder as well and all sorts of neat stuff like that.

Realistically I'd get an OE system or a carb and spend the pile of money you save on something else...... like bigger wheels or whatever.

For some reason if you get something so fancy I think I'd get hooked on tinkering with it and spend all my spare time toying with it. I kinda like my 3 carbs now that the engine doesn't ping anymore smile.gif

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

Guest Anonymous

Mike,

After our discussion on Saturday regarding the TPI system I read up on it some in Lingenfelter's book. Seems the runners on the TPI are very restrictive and they don't do well on larger V8s as they are tuned more for the 305.

From what I have read I think the Accell unit is the way to go...

Chris

quote:

Originally posted by Morgan:

Realistically I'd get an OE system or a carb and spend the pile of money you save on something else...... like bigger wheels or whatever.

I think Mike has bought all else he needs already:-) (lucky guy) I'd seriously hop on the DIYEFI list and in a flash they'd lay out the advantages of each system, I"ll fwd some emails on a recent similar thread they had on someone with a turbo motor looking for best bang/buck system. Here's one agreed on by a few for his application (not saying it's best for Mike's)

</snip>

Speed Pro Bank to Bank Systems

Package includes: Bank to Bank ECU, Wideband O2, Base Program, C-Com

software, Interface cable, PTE Custom vehicle interface, 3 bar MAP sensor

Complete System ONLY: $1795!!!

</end snip>

see: http://www.precisionte.com/ for more info...

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Randy,

I thought of doing that as well, but when you factor in the cost of injectors ($400-$500), machining of the intake for the bungs ($300) and buying an SDS and all related sensors and the airdoor, you quickly come up to the cost of most "Package" deals like the edlebrock, Accell, and Holley packages being advertised... It boils down to biggest bang for the buck for me, and also IF I sell my intake and carb or not.

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Hi Rick,

No, I haven't done the swap yet. Fixing up the old barn (no lie) now a garage with heat and 220v service. I am also making a work bench and overhead storage cabinets - will it ever end! The tank I'm putting in is out of an early 300ZX turbo (19.5 gal). The tank has a nice symmetrical layout with the filler tube on the passenger side like our early Z's. This is a rectangular tank (shorter in length and a bit taller - not like ours with that weird shape). I will be removing the spare tire well and centering the new tank in that location. I have measured everything numerous times and this should work - we'll see, best lay plans. The tank I got was in fantastic shape - no dents or rust, and I got the entire unit (FI pump, sender, downspout and mounting straps). Since this is a Nissan part I can just get an electrical schematic and good to go. Things that I need to find out are the rating of the pump. Might not have enough pressure or volume for the LT1 engine. This does not sound insurmountable. One thing I liked about this tank is that it's set up for FI already and has all the tubes (out flow is big!) and it is Nissan product. This is an experiment.

This winter I'M WORKING ON THIS CAR!!!!!

Danno74Z